[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Proposed Agenda

David Payne dpayne at afilias.info
Tue Dec 9 15:56:51 UTC 2014

One of Katim's additions could fit in more than one place on the mind map:

Should unsuccessful applications for support be protected in subsequent
rounds to prevent their being dragged into auction wars by more
resource-endowed applicants? If so, how should such protection be provided?

This clearly fits under the section about applicants from developing
countries, but it also concerns auctions, which is a group of issues in the
section about contention mechanisms. Double issues like this have come up
very often in discussions about the New TLD program with applicants who
identify themselves as a particular type of applicant (not only from
developing countries but also communities, IDNs, .BRANDs, and others). I've
noticed that the overlap is caused by two different approaches towards
issue grouping. Many people group issues by the procedure involved
(application processing, contention resolution, etc). However, other
participants in the community approach discussions about a subsequent round
from the perspective of their particular identity. They look for the groups
of issues that most directly affect them. Our mind map mixes the two
approaches. It groups issues both by identity and by procedure, which is a
little confusing. I'm concerned that confusion in the presentation will
lead to confusion in the discussions.

Trying to organize the issues under the GNSO Final Report principles also
created inconsistencies. Issues about auctions are hard to find under the
heading "Were strings effectively prevented from being confusingly
similar...?" The Final Report principles don't have a clear structure, so
anything organized around them will also lack structure. References to the
GNSO Final Report principles (as a parenthetical at the end of the issue)
should be sufficient.

I recommend that we group the issues primarily by the procedures that make
up the New TLD program. The timeline of procedures creates a clear and
consistent outline. We should supplement the issue groups by calling out
the sub-issues that particular applicant types have raised (for example,
Katim's suggestion about applicants from developing countries in TLD
auctions). I think we would all benefit from easily recognizing which
discussions during the PDP will be a priority for specific applicant
types. I noticed that ICANN staff have structured their internal reviews
based on the timeline of procedures. Following a similar outline will help
us efficiently blend their issues and the results of their reviews with our
work.

There are certainly issues that affect the New TLD program overall (rather
than a specific procedure or sub-program). One group/section for these
would not be too hard to find or to recognize which issues fit in it (for
example, the Applicant Guidebook).

David