[Gnso-newgtld-dg] Thomas Lowenhaupt: An Introduction

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Sun Jul 27 03:55:45 UTC 2014

By way of introduction...

I've been involved with ICANN in different capacities since 1998:
governance issues, new TLDs, now ALAC.

In 2005, to support the acquisition of the .nyc TLD as a public interest
resource, I started the not-for-profit Connecting.nyc Inc. Currently I
serve on the Mayor's .NYC Community Advisory Board with a role in
reviewing our city's plans for its TLD.

Why Am I Interested In This Working Group?

Section 1.2.2 of the 2012 Applicant Guidebook required city-TLD
applicants to include a Letter of Non-Objection with their application:

"If an applicant has applied for a gTLD string that is a geographic name
(as defined in this guidebook), the applicant is required to submit
documentation of support for or nonobjection to its application from the
relevant governments or public authorities."

Having closely followed the acquisition and development process for the
.nyc TLD since 2001, I've concluded that the Non-objection standard is
inadequate.

I hope to convince the Working Group that the application process for
city-TLDs be changed; that applications for city-TLDs include an
indication of Informed Consent rather than Non-Objection.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt