[Gnso-newgtld-dg] Thomas Lowenhaupt: An Introduction

Sam Lanfranco sam at lanfranco.net
Sun Jul 27 15:03:28 UTC 2014

Colleagues,

Following Tom Lowenhaupt’s idea of introductions I will introduce myself
beyond what is in my ICANN SOI:
https://community.icann.org/display/gnsosoi/Sam+Lanfranco+SOI

I am a development economist with a third of a century of experience in
ICT4D and, as an educator, a particular interest in capturing lessons
learned, especially in light of the persistent failure to learn as
exhibited by economic development initiatives around the world, and the
shortcomings of monitoring and evaluation for many undertakings.

Each of us probably has specific aspects of the recent new gTLD round
where we see lessons to be learned. Beyond that my focus will be on two
parts. The first, drawing on work I did with the UN Development
Programme’s effort to capture lessons learned, is to (in my head at
least) organize lessons learned into a simple 2x2 matrix consisting of
the degree of generalization of lessons (general, specific) and their
context applicability (general, specific). That is useful when turning
to the use of lessons learned in practice.

The second focus is to guard against looking for specific lessons
learned as a "Poster Child" for the great successes or failures of the
first new gTLD effort. It is more productive to consider this as
learning lessons for future use, and not, in the first instance, as an
overall assessment of the first gTLD round. While the two activities are
related, they are distinct with respect to intent.

Sam Lanfranco

"It is a disgrace to be rich and honoured
in an unjust state" -Confucius
Dr Sam Lanfranco (Prof Emeritus & Senior Scholar)
Econ, York U., Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - M3J 1P3
email: Lanfran at Yorku.ca   Skype: slanfranco
blog:  http://samlanfranco.blogspot.com
Phone: +1 613-476-0429 cell: +1 416-816-2852