[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Draft Issue Categorization

Katim S. Touray kstouray at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 12:32:54 UTC 2014

Dear all,

I am writing in support of suggestions from Tijani Ben Jemaa and Avri Doria
with regards the issue of support for "underserved regions." In particular,
I support a strengthening of outreach efforts, and having a special round
for developing countries. I also suggest that we add that such a special
round for developing countries should seek partnerships with development
organizations such as the World Bank, the African, Asian, and
Inter-American Development Banks to raise more funding support from
applicants from developing countries.

Other suggestions I have with regards to support for applications from
developing countries are:

   1. Staff should not be allowed to scuttle applications by tampering with
   implementation guidelines developed by the community. Where staff
   suggestions can materially impact applications, they should be referred
   back to the community before they are implemented.
   2. Expunge the term "Underserved Regions" from our literature because it
   is not what the international development community uses to refer to
   countries ICANN has in mind. I suggest we use "Developing Countries"
   instead, since everyone has an idea what that means, and it is what the
   international development community uses.

With regards the other issues, my suggestions are as follows:

   1. I suggest we remove the reference to Digital Archery (in the
   Application Processing section) given it was not implemented and, from what
   I gather, the lottery system worked well
   2. I found the TAS not buggy and error prone, but very cumbersome! It's
   designers must also bear in mind that many in developing countries have
   slow Internet connections.
   3. ICANN has to find a way to work more effectively with banks in
   developing countries to facilitate its transactions with gTLD applicants.
   My feeling is that the conditions imposed by ICANN for COIs were especially
   onerous for people in developing countries.

That's about it for now.

Katim