[Gnso-newgtld-dg] Under-served Regions, Private Auctions, and Fiduciary Issues Query (Landrush - Applicant Auctions - Informed Consent)

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Mon Oct 6 16:37:23 UTC 2014

Sam,

Your question touches on one we're dealing with here in New York City
right now. The situation...

The Landrush for .nyc ended at 11 AM this past Friday. On Saturday
afternoon one of the organizations with which I am involved received
notice from the registrar (GoDaddy) that more than one applicant had
requested the MentalHealth.nyc domain name. And that we'd soon be
informed by SnapNames about an auction that will be held "on behalf of
the registry." (Auction revenue here goes 60% to registry and 40% to
city government.)

In this situation we are advocating for transparency of the type ICANN
offered for 2012 New TLDs, believing that there are benefits to having
the various applicants connect and discuss the use of the domain name.
In the instance of MentalHealth.nyc, perhaps a collaborative effort
would ensue, or if another party has a superior plan, we'd be prepared
to drop out of the auction. Currently a blind auction is planned: We
have no idea who we might be bidding against. Our organization is a 50 +
year old not-for-profit serving a small section of the city. Perhaps the
others applicants do similar work. In the context of [Gnso-newtld-dg] we
see awareness about the impact of transparency in this situation being
part of an Informed Consent regiment.

There's a second Informed Consent aspect to this. In the current
situation there is the possibility that the MentalHealth.nyc name could
be sought by a comedy club, or maybe to market a magic elixir of some
sort. And while both of these might qualify as beneficial to mental
health, from a city administration perspective, the more traditional
health use of the name would seem more appropriate. For this reason,
we'd like to see the Informed Consent provisions include
multistakeholder engagement in selecting public interest name set-asides.

Our situation differs in important ways from the one you raised. If
there are four not-for-profits seeking MentalHealth.nyc,  I believe the
last resort should be an applicant auction with revenue staying "in the
community." But in the instance you cite (ICANN applicant auctions), I
tend to agree with using auction funds for the public interest. I
realize there's a seeming conflict in these views, with an explanation
left for another post.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt
Connecting.nyc Inc.

P.S. I've attached a City-TLD Landrush Models graphic which depicts
different approaches to the landrush process.