[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Reminder: Submit Issues & Nominations for Group Chair(s)

Alexander Schubert alexander at nichetlds.com
Mon Sep 8 10:21:18 UTC 2014

Hi Will,

My personal experience with ICANN tells me this: If you (like me) want a 2nd
round to happen - and in this decade- then YOU have to start that movement.
Because if none of us starts it then NOTHING will happen.

I think latest in Morocco a group will have to form that beats the drum. The
good thing is that THIS TIME we can count on some unlikely allies (which in
the past tried to slow down everything):

-          The GAC: Brought up to speed by all the city managers who missed
the band wagon and do not want to look stupid any more longer. None of the
city TLD's has gained traction yet; but it's just a matter of time until you
will see a full page TIME magazine advertisement sporting a city TLD based
domain - and then all majors of cities that matter will run around like
headless chicken - and eventually will start to lobby their GAC member.

-          The brand community: Once the first global brand starts to
actively promote their brand gTLD the life for hundreds of brand managers
will likely become hell on earth - their board will pelt them with curses
and demand an instant catch up. The IP constituency and ANA (entities that
constantly tried to bury the current round) will be forced by their own
members to revert to active promoters for a 2nd round.

In the last round most participants were closeted: Brands wanted to keep it
calm, applicants for generics were afraid of copy cats, mostly just those
serving a community like city TLD's or community applicants were really
visible and advertised their string (and not even all of them did that). But
this time I assume brands won't be ashamed to promote a 2nd round and
certainly cities not! So to speed things up we could ask the 200 top brands
and the 100 top cities to issue kind of an statement in this regard - to
show the demand.

We probably need a WG for the whole issue.

To answer your question: The 2nd round could start as early as 2017/2018
with the first 2nd round TLD's being in the root THIS decade. And why not
having this as goal: At least one 2nd round gTLD in the root this decade.
Why not planting this notion into the head of different stakeholders - and
maybe even the CEO?

The biggest single problem of the 2nd round however will be demand: It will
be way to high. I expect not less than a 5 figure amount of applications and
we should have something in place that keeps the flood at bay.

Alexander.berlin