[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Reminder: Submit Issues & Nominations for Group Chair(s)

Bret Fausett bret at uniregistry.link
Mon Sep 8 13:47:34 UTC 2014

>> I often get asked when will there be a round 2 of new gTLDs. I appreciate it will be too early to answer that question yet, but it would be helpful to understand the milestones this group needs to undertake in order to have a clearer picture on the timeline to round 2.

> To answer your question: The 2nd round could start as early as 2017/2018 with the first 2nd round TLD’s being in the root THIS decade.

My estimate is in line with Alexander’s. I think we will have a clear sense of the date for the opening of a subsequent round by 2017. It may not happen in that year, but the date, or approximate date, will be clear by then.

On the milestones, the GNSO Council will receive status reports on the various reviews underway by the end of September, and I hope to be in a position to map out the milestones and the process forward by our meeting at ICANN51 in Los Angeles next month.

         Bret

--
Bret Fausett, Esq. • General Counsel, Uniregistry, Inc.
12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 200 • Playa Vista, CA 90094-2536
310-496-5755 (T) • 310-985-1351 (M) • bret at uniregistry.link
— — — — —