[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Proposed Agenda

Rosette, Kristina rosettek at amazon.com
Wed Apr 1 15:47:11 UTC 2015

All,

Apologies for missing yesterday's call.  I've set out below my comments on the matrix.  I haven't had a chance to review any recent postings so these may be duplicative.

1.        I suggest that, to the extent possible, we break out the notes regarding Rec. 3 so that they correspond to the relevant recommendation.   For example, given that WIPO charged $10K for Legal Rights Objections and ICC charged $90,000+ for Community Objections, it seems likely to me that the comment "prohibitively high fees to access" was made regarding Recs. 6 and/or 20.  Where we're not sure, though, I think it would be helpful to repeat the notes and indicate that we have done so because the comments were not specifically attributed.

2.       Following on #1, the comments regarding the Independent Objector are properly attributed to Recs. 6 and 20 (not 3) because he was limited to filing objections based on those two recs.

3.       For all objections other than Legal Rights (Rec. 3):  Were the objection criteria sufficiently detailed and, if not, what additional criteria and detail can be provided to the DRPs and Panels?

4.       For recs 6 & 20:  What process should be used to address an Independent Objector's alleged conflict of interest without having to pursue the objection process to conclusion?  (Background note:  As many know, I wrote - on behalf of then-client Patagonia - a lengthy letter to ICANN setting out the Independent Objector's conflict of interest.  ICANN took the position that it could do nothing and it was up to the DRP to decide whether to even consider the asserted conflict.   The DRP Panel that decided the .AMAZON Community Objection found that the IO had a conflict of interest that should have prevented him from filing the objection - and then dismissed the objection on the merits.  To get to that point, Amazon had to pay the DRP and legal fees for an objection that never should have been allowed to proceed.  No applicant should have to repeat those circumstances.)

5.       Rec 8:  If the COI requirement is maintained, what steps can be taken to decrease the burden on applicants to comply with the requirement?  (Background note:  Because some of the COI requirements set forth by ICANN had no nexus to generally accepted letter of credit practices, meeting the requirement was very disproportionately time consuming.)

6.       Rec. 12:  Does anyone on the DG have first-hand knowledge of the referenced "spurious activities"?  If not, we should be careful in our characterization (e.g., alleged spurious activities).

7.       IG C:  Was the application change process sufficiently transparent and, if not, how should it be changed?

8.       IG P :  Were these criteria sufficiently detailed and, if not, how should they be changed?