[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Update Draft Deliverables

Jacob Malthouse jacob at bigroom.ca
Mon Apr 27 17:01:43 UTC 2015

All,

Apologies for missing today's call.

Considerable CPE guidance that was provided in past versions was deleted
from this version. Why is this?

One aspect not discussed yet but that should be included in this is the
awareness raising component at the start of the program. Was it
communicated effectively? Could that be improved? How?

Here are some comments on the spreadsheet track changes in the summary are
attached.

*Dispute resolution and challenge processes must be established prior to
the start of the process.*

*A clear explanation of the interplay between ICANN accountability
mechanisms and the New gTLD program should be scoped and explained, with
stress testing and worst case scenarios examined and published. *

*An application will be rejected if an expert panel determines that there
is substantial opposition to it from a significant portion of the community
to which the string may be explicitly or implicitly targeted.*

*The words 'substantial' and 'significant' as well as 'explicit' and
'implict' require practical definitions and precise testing processes. *

*The application process will provide a pre-defined roadmap for applicants
that encourages the submission of applications for new top-level domains.*

*See point 1 regarding interplay between accountability mechanisms. Note
that the CWG Accountability initial proposal considers a broad expansion to
the DIDP and RfR processes. --- Don't pretend this isn't going to be an
issue for some/many applicants and ICANN because it sure as heck is
currently... *

*GDD Question: Can additional guidance be provided on demonstrating
(community) qualifications to earn preference?*

*Recommend convening an expert panel of independent community experts
(notably social scientists, economists, anthropologists and geographers) to
assist the group in developing an appropriate science based evaluation. *

Jacob Malthouse
Co-founder & Director, Big Room Inc.
778-960-6527
www.bigroom.ca