[Gnso-newgtld-dg] Any Recent Activity

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Wed Feb 18 20:32:04 UTC 2015

Bret,

I wanted to address your question related to process.

The output from this group will not directly lead to the initiation of a
PDP. Instead, it may serve as the basis for the GNSO Council to request an
Issue Report on New gTLD Subsequent Procedures (as a reminder, here are is
the set of information that should ideally be provided as part of that
request: https://community.icann.org/x/GQllAg). The DG¹s work will likely
contribute heavily to staff drafting the Preliminary Issue Report. Contained
within the Preliminary Issue Report is also the charter, all of which will
be posted for public comment. Once the public comment period is completed,
staff will produce a Final Issue Report, taking into account comments
received. That Final Issue Report will be sent to the GNSO Council for
consideration for initiation of a PDP.

What and how the DG intends to produce its outputs is up to the group
itself, as there is not necessarily formal process around discussion groups.
So in regards to your question about whether public comment is necessary, it
is up to the group and from a staff perspective, we have no strong opinion
either way. The public comment period embedded in the generation of the
Issue Report is expected to assess whether information contained is accurate
and complete, not necessarily to change the overall scope. Also, that public
comment period will be focused on the Preliminary Issue Report and not
directly on the work of the DG.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Steve