[Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Issues / Recommendations Matrix and Executive Summary

Steve Chan steve.chan at icann.org
Wed Mar 18 22:36:32 UTC 2015

Dear DG Members,

Note that ³Public Interest Guidance² is referenced on the second tab of the
matrix, which is inspired by the 17 Nov Board Resolution, Annex A
(https://community.icann.org/download/attachments/49356545/resolutions-annex
-a-17nov14-en%281%29.pdf?version=1&modificationDate=1425335213000&api=v2).
Staff has included the high level topic in the matrix as a possible area for
policy development and echoes Jeff¹s suggestion to add additional detail
(i.e., questions/comments) to better understand the scope of the topic.

For reference, here is the text from the Board Resolution:

> "The New gTLD Program was developed in the spirit of advancing the public
> interest; however, existing policy advice does not define the application of
> ³public interest² analysis as a guideline for evaluation determinations on
> individual applications.  Issues such as those identified in GAC advice on
> safeguards, the development of Public Interest Commitments (PICs), and
> associated questions of contractual commitment and enforcement may be an area
> for policy development.²

Additionally, under section 9.3 of the Affirmation of Commitments (AoC),
ICANN is committed to examine ³the extent to which the introduction or
expansion of gTLDs has promoted competition, consumer trust and consumer
choiceŠ² Presumably this fits within the public interest topic and the DG
and possible future PDP(s) may want to consider this review in their
deliberations.

Best,
Steve

From:  Avri Doria <avri at acm.org>
Date:  Wednesday, March 18, 2015 at 2:28 PM
To:  "gnso-newgtld-dg at icann.org" <gnso-newgtld-dg at icann.org>
Subject:  Re: [Gnso-newgtld-dg] - Issues / Recommendations Matrix and
Executive Summary

Hi,

I think that the program only served one set of  interests among the Global
Public Interests: It served the interests of businesses from the global
north.  I believe it  failed many other perspectives on the Global Public
Interests.

thanks

avri