[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] Recordings, attendance & AC chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 2 ­ Legal/Regulatory Issues call on Thursday, 12 October 2017 15:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Thu Oct 12 18:47:02 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email. The AC recording and AC Chat are listed below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 2 - Legal/Regulatory Issues held on Thursday, 12 October 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording (audio and visual):   https://participate.icann.org/p9gaifz63rj/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=eHPrN-_bdy9o07rZMRQpAh0tYuXgHPQcB-Pr3uDRDNw&s=lMkDge8ViCOVIu1es2YYwXqjjhDUWZjs7iSwRAiOeOA&e=>

Agenda Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/jYJEB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 12 October 2017

  Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 2 - Legal/Regulatory Issues meeting on Thursday, 12 October 2017 15:00 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_jYJEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=XTMTZZHH3feo91UeVh2d7nORWJISkVFLXkZuFbLdtdQ&s=pH2Wpr5gtC0rAb9zvuA-2t3Y22ITos35S0izQqLeE1g&e=
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:hi all
  Michael Flemming 2:Wonderful
  Michael Flemming 2:Cheryl, glad you are here.
  Steve Chan:Unsynced
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:not as late as it is fof me
  Steve Chan:I reccommend using the arrows to page through rather than trying to scroll :)
  Steve Chan:If you would like to review the full text, you can see here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__newgtlds.icann.org_en_applicants_agb_terms&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=XTMTZZHH3feo91UeVh2d7nORWJISkVFLXkZuFbLdtdQ&s=Ne-_3CqiwiZ9QSRqOXLh4gXSKe_gfvKvxLSfNrBoQ7M&e=
  Emily Barabas:@michael -- the quoted text on slide 5 - section 6 is not from CC2. I believe the proposed text was put forward during one of the previous calls on this topic.
  Jim Prendergast 2:I believe the text on slide 11 is a vestige from a previous set of slides on another topic.  They deal with closed gerics.
  Michael Flemming 2:Jim that could be true
  Michael Flemming 2:And it is
  Michael Flemming 2:I am sorry, I should've done a better due diligence check
  Jim Prendergast 2:no biggie
  Emily Barabas:checking. . .
  Steve Chan:I believe that's the entire comment for this section.
  Steve Chan:[Do you believe that this paragraph gives ICANN an absolute right to reject any application for any reason including a reason that contradicts the Applicant Guidebook, or any law or policy?] Yes. [If yes, should such an unrestricted right appear in any modifications to the Guidebook?] Yes.
  Emily Barabas:sorry, you are much faster than me today
  Emily Barabas:thanks steve
  Steve Chan:waking up for a 5 am Council call gives me an extra pep in my step apparently.
  Gg Levine (NABP):Agreed.
  Jon Nevett:Need an appeal process, but make it loser pays as a deterrent to frivilous complaints
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Steve Chan:Note, the topic of possible appeal processes is part of WT3's slate of topics. For those interested in the topic, please be sure to participate in WT3's discussions.
  Jim Prendergast 2:for more background on my upcoming point - suggest reading this piece by Jeff Neuman - provides good background.  https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.circleid.com_posts_20130316-5Ficann-5Fmust-5Fdrop-5Frequest-5Ffor-5Funilateral-5Fright-5Fto-5Famend-5Fagreements_&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=XTMTZZHH3feo91UeVh2d7nORWJISkVFLXkZuFbLdtdQ&s=vhTXEMBnQzQ-iELjzLZcMDj3855p27fME0Vh8jiJYAw&e=
  Susan Payne:apologies, I have to drop again
  Kristina Rosette:have to drop for another meeting
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:bye
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  Jon Nevett:I would add to the list of ICANN inappropriate post-application changes was the $5K per-registry TMCH set-up fee that is nowhere in the AGB
  Michael Flemming 2:That is a good idea, I think, Jon. (Co-Chair hat off)
  Michael Flemming 2:Adding it to our list of issues, I mean.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:agree with the importance of predictability
  Jim Prendergast 2:are there examples of where applicants been accomodated?
  Jim Prendergast 2:exactly
  Greg Shatan:Well, that went pear-shaped.
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:22
  Steve Chan:SLide 22
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:half way in Affilias
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:you wern't away long
  Michael Flemming 2:We go to 30
  Emily Barabas:correct
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:there isvalso an overlapping call
  Steve Chan:there is at least one competing WG call: IGO/INGO curative rights protection mechanisms
  Steve Chan:Yes, what Cheryl said
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:good point Jim
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:argh  my audio seems delaydd now
  Jim Prendergast 2:hadnt heard that one before but Im gonna steal it!
  Steve Chan:2.5.4 - Do you believe that any changes are needed in the Terms & Conditions in Module 6 of the Applicant Guidebook? If so, what are those changes and what is the basis or rationale for needing to do so?
  Jon Nevett:I need to hop -- thanks all -- Jon
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:your doing fine, we are making progress
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr 2:thanks everyone... bye for now thanks Michael