[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] Recording, attendance & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 2 ­ Legal/Regulatory Issues call on Thursday, 19 October 2017 20:30 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Thu Oct 19 22:29:11 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email. The AC recording and AC Chat are listed below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues held on Thursday, 19 October 2017 at 20:30 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording (audio and visual):   https://participate.icann.org/p83di4m1z4k/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar[gnso.icann.org]<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_group-2Dactivities_calendar&d=DwMF-g&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=eHPrN-_bdy9o07rZMRQpAh0tYuXgHPQcB-Pr3uDRDNw&s=lMkDge8ViCOVIu1es2YYwXqjjhDUWZjs7iSwRAiOeOA&e=>

Agenda Wiki page: https://community.icann.org/x/j4JEB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 19 October 2017

Michelle DeSmyter:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues call on Thursday, 19 October 2017 at 20:30 UTC
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_j4JEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=8_WhWIPqsLT6TmF1Zmyci866vcPSFO4VShFqESGe_5iHWGlBLwwwehFBfjrsjWv9&m=Y8x58UcCszmzdGQ7gMO1jhOwEl8ZElNQzKSrnHaqfTw&s=DU7M8KF1pgjQIz0G31unDLLqJ_grpsGV1kUN_eFZ5Jk&e=
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:hi all
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I am in overlapping calls sorry
  avri doria:interesting sound effects
  Karen Day:yes, sounds like someone's phone is near a dripping sink
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:good luck Phil
  Heather Forrest:@Michael- global public interest is a topic that we could talk for years about (and indeed have done so). What is the desired outcome/output/result of our discussion today? (Just asking so we have a clear direction in our discussion today)
  Alan Greenberg:Public interest was also implicated by the priority for community applications.
  Jeff Neuman:As Michael is saying, we will cover the CC2 comments, and then ultimately get to the question of PICs, and whether this is the appropriate vehicle to address public policy concerns.
  Heather Forrest:OK thank you Michael and Jeff for clarifying
  Holly Raiche 2:What about Specification 11?
  Jeff Neuman:Holly - What aspects of Speicification 11
  Karen Day:WT3
  Karen Day:Accountability Mech
  Holly Raiche 2:Thanaks for that Jeff
  Michelle DeSmyter:YES
  Jim Prendergast:yes
  Sara Bockey:I hear you
  Michelle DeSmyter:yes
  avri doria:i can hear
  Trang Nguyen:I can hear Michael and Jeff.
  Holly Raiche 2:I can hear you
  Jeff Neuman:Am i the only one who cant hear
  Jim Prendergast:sounds good
  Trang Nguyen:I can hear you loud and clear, Michael.
  Phil Buckingham:loud and clear michael
  Holly Raiche 2:that's fine
  Holly Raiche 2:Fine
  Jeff Neuman:i reloaded
  Jeff Neuman:So the approach to have PICs was a creation of the then CEO of ICANN to incorporate GAC advice.   Should this same approach continue?  Is there another way to do it?
  Jeff Neuman:yes.....there was no GNSO policy on this?
  Holly Raiche 2:At some point maybe we should also look a the report from the Consumer Trust, Choice WG - and public expectations - in this tract of Track 2 as well?
  Jeff Neuman:yes, once they finalize their report
  Gg Levine (NABP):Excellent question
  Phil Buckingham:very good points , alan
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:I am only on AC now had to join another meeting via phone bridge
  Jon Nevett:.doctor?
  Jon Nevett:based on what data, Alan?
  Holly Raiche 2:Agreed wih Alan - the draft CCRT report does talk about consumer expectations
  Gg Levine (NABP):Well said, Alan
  Michael Flemming:Sorry for the background noise if I had made any
  Phil Buckingham:how do we determine a regulated industry ?  they may vary country by country ?
  Jeff Neuman:I yield to Gg and Alan
  Michael Flemming:I will call on you afterwards
  Phil Buckingham:exactly Jon
  Alan Greenberg:I was not advocating ANYTHING. I was asked to present the ALAC position and that is what I did.
  Jon Nevett:no data in . DOCTOR
  Jon Nevett:I didn't say that at all
  Jon Nevett:how many in .doctor
  Jeff Neuman:jon can go ahead of me
  Jeff Neuman:i would like to hear Alan's view now
  Heather Forrest:Michael - put yourself in the Qto hold your place
  Michael Flemming:Thanks Heather
  Alan Greenberg:Why is it I have REPEATEDLY been told that we are not trying to make deciisons during this review of comments?
  Heather Forrest:chemist
  Jeff Neuman:We are not making decisions, but we are debating the issues
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:thanks for the clarification Michael
  Jeff Neuman:So, Alan, can you put yourself back in the queue?
  Holly Raiche 2:Agree with Jeff - that is the issue that was raised by the CCRT report - the issue ishow to deal with consumer expectations and whether ICANN rules take those into account - just an aspect of public interest
  Alan Greenberg:I am mystified why in other WT meetings, I was told that the methodology, I think developed by Avri, that we were reviewing comments and NOT trying to resolve conflicts or come to closure.
  Jeff Neuman:I would note that there is a difference between "a connection" and "expectation of safety"
  Alan Greenberg:I did not come to this meeting prepared to debate the issues.
  Holly Raiche 2:Agree with Jeff - just raising the issue of how we deal with expectation and connection
  Jon Nevett:Right Jeff ex-ante censorship vs. ex-post enforcement
  Holly Raiche 2:I think the idea of he categories was to identify the critical names such as doctor and pharmacy
  Jim Prendergast:you went there!!
  Michael Flemming:I did
  Jon Nevett:i agree with Alan!
  Holly Raiche 2:Could this be sen out
  Phil Buckingham: dont think so michael
  Holly Raiche 2:sorry - 'sent'
  Julie Hedlund:We will send it with the notes and also post to the wiki.
  Jeff Neuman:next time
  Holly Raiche 2:Could we have time to look at it first
  Jeff Neuman:lets make sure it is out
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:yep
  Heather Forrest:Goodbye all, safe travels to AD
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr:bye 👋 for now then...
  Phil Buckingham:thanks michael