[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt2] Recordings, attendance & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 2 ­ Legal/Regulatory Issues call

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Fri Sep 8 01:15:12 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email. The AC recording and AC Chat are listed below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues held on Thursday, 7 September 2017 at 21:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording (audio and visual):    https://participate.icann.org/p4ajs4794ia/<https://participate.icann.org/p4ajs4794ia/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=f0f4dcd59786ab91f6008d03e03bc2edb0041973f05ef183d70cdae027853382>

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:  http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/LgEhB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julie

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 7 September 2017

  Julie Bisland:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues on Thursday, 07 September 2017 at 21:00 UTC

  Julie Bisland:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_LgEhB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=-kgIkgUWKJ_wUTcKsAIQPsRkqAxoVNYil6Qx0YsUYKM&s=yS9Vv8_4IUnFjvUBcwEszhzactRX3Nx57OR5_tvysbc&e=

  Michael Flemming:Are we expecting a small turnout because of Irma and Harvey?

  Michael Flemming:Could I get slide control please?

  Michael Flemming:Thx

  Steve Chan:@Michael, slides are unsynced so everyone has control of their own slides

  Jeff Neuman:I wish i had a small violin emoji for Adobe Connect

  Jon Nevett:For the record, i object to 2 meetings per week

  Jon Nevett:there are 5 subgroups and many of us participate on most, if not all of them -- thanks!

  Steve Chan:We'll be starting on slide 20

  Steve Chan:Note, you can review the ICANN org feedback on the Background Screening topic in the Program Implementation Review Report here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.icann.org_en_system_files_files_program-2Dreview-2D29jan16-2Den.pdf&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=-kgIkgUWKJ_wUTcKsAIQPsRkqAxoVNYil6Qx0YsUYKM&s=Sta6Zlljz2y9ViF78PkL_gOmkGrepjW7_GGeWAZ41Vg&e=  on page 57

  Greg Shatan:Sound went crazy for a while.

  Julie Bisland:yes, seems Michael's audio got suddenly loud

  Greg Shatan:Good

  Julie Bisland:excellent

  Kiran Malancharuvil:It's fine now

  Julie Bisland:it does sound good now

  Julie Bisland:thank you

  Alan Greenberg:Sorry to be late.

  Emily Barabas:Welcome Alan. We are on slide 24

  Alan Greenberg:Where are we in the slide deck?

  Alan Greenberg:Thanks!

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):a point well made in my view Michael

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Agree with Michael

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):then I am also from AP :-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Very true Paul!

  Jeff Neuman:@Paul - was that an issue of non-enforcement or poor language on affiliates?

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Good point Paul.  ICANN needs to be transparent about how they respond to these complaints and submissions.

  Jeff Neuman:or both

  Michael Flemming:I agree with that. Transparency but at the same time flexibility for dotBrands. (personal opinion)

  Alexander Schubert:How about the opposite approach: and impose EXTRA coast on Fortune 500 Corps?

  Paul McGrady:I'm for finding ways to lowering application fees for anyone we can - too much wheel spinning in this program.

  Heather Forrest:To the extent that we can rely on public information (stock exchanges, court decisions, etc) that is most efficient and transparent

  Michael Flemming:+1 Greg (personal opinion)

  Heather Forrest:Good question Jim - ICANN is getting  a legal opinion. We should see if that's going to be addressed

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Re: GDPR, Consent with certainly play a role, as would public/legitimate interest.

  Greg Shatan:TMI, Cheryl.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Agree with Heather to make sure that ICANN includes that question in the GDPR readiness project

  Kiran Malancharuvil:That was Heather's suggestion, not mine.  :) But I agree with her.

  Heather Forrest:No problem!

  Alexander Schubert:OBJECTION: The applicant for .chicago might turn that around and claim that ICANN would check them out - so the city doesn't have to do it......

  Jon Nevett:probably should add PDDRP loss or two

  Greg Shatan:Yes, now that that's a thing.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:PICDRP should probably be included in the evaluation.  Although I tend to agree that it shouldn't be defacto.

  Paul McGrady:The cybersquatting bar is useless if never enforced by ICANN.

Paul McGrady:Needs to be enforced in the next round.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:+1 paul.  I'm really disturbed to hear that evidence of cyberquatting was ignored.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:I also think ICANN should be looking into that proactively and should not wait for submissions.

  Michael Flemming:No, we love the feedback. Anyone is welcome.

  Jon Nevett:not if a good faith dispute

  Greg Shatan:Paul, don't you mean the anti-cybersquatting bar? :-)

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Paul is correct.  They should look at everything and evaluate whether it impacts their potential obligations as an RO.  And the community should set what that means so it's not a subjective evaluation.

  Paul McGrady:@Greg - yep.  Upside down...

  Greg Shatan:@Michael -- randomly, like drug tests?

  Julie Bisland:The next New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 2 – Legal/Regulatory Issues will take place on Thursday, 14 September 2017 at 03:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

  Kiran Malancharuvil:Thanks Michael.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):bye 👋 the now

  Alexander Schubert:Tnx

  Greg Shatan:Thank you!