[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] Recording, AC Chat & Attendance from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 3 ­ String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 20:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Feb 21 21:21:49 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and audio recording of the call attached to this
email and the Adobe Connect recording (visual and audio) and AC Chat below
for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String
Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 21 February 2017 at 20:00
UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p5iuw0k0z3j/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=d2bb332eb83bd37e
112e25e7751c52e54fb922234e519726f89516ceebbbd6db>
https://participate.icann.org/p5iuw0k0z3j/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

 <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3

Agenda Wiki page:   <https://community.icann.org/x/vLPDAw>
https://community.icann.org/x/vLPDAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 21 February 2017

    Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team –
Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 21 February
2017 at 20:00 UTC.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_v
LPDAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
vLPDAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=_df2LlSlZOs9zdVlLaqSPUc8gEYIJeOcUohBNBou2_
k&s=CQ-9WVCMuc-3Ac3E2TopHy6r_HOU3QIoa9znfQ8r9ck&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=_df2LlSlZOs9zdVlLaqSPUc8gEYIJeOcUohBNBou2_k&s=CQ
-9WVCMuc-3Ac3E2TopHy6r_HOU3QIoa9znfQ8r9ck&e=

  Terri Agnew:everyone can scroll themselves

  Rubens Kuhl:Me

  Gg Levine (NABP):Yes

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes

  Rudy Mendoza:+1

  Rubens Kuhl:Full reading in the WG is my opinion.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):and I am ok with full read in Mondays call

  Rubens Kuhl:In the plenary session.

  Terri Agnew:finding echo

  Rubens Kuhl:There is a general feeeling among applicants about SWORD not
being useful or representative.

  Karen Day:did we lose steve?

  Rubens Kuhl:I'm hearing Steve...

  Jeff Neuman:i hear you through adobe

  Kevin Kreuser:hear you fine

  Karen Day:sorry must have been me I'll try to come back in

  Terri Agnew:@Steve, I am able to hear you as well. Karen please let me
know if a dial out is needed

  Karen Day:I"m back sorry for the interruption.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):and online shopping in Japanese

  Jeff Neuman:I would like to go back to string similarity review after
review of these slides

  Rubens Kuhl:The cases with no responses could be the applicants agreeing
to being placed in the contention set. .KID and .KIDS were like this, where
all 3 applicants agreed so they preferred to not pay to respond and accept
all as a single contention set.

  Jeff Neuman:Here is the standard for string similarity review:  Standard
for String Confusion – String confusion exists where a string so nearly
resembles another visually that it is likely to deceive or cause confusion.
For the likelihood of confusion to exist, it must be probable, not merely
possible that confusion will arise in the mind of the average, reasonable
Internet user. Mere association, in the sense that the string brings another
string to mind, is insufficient to find a likelihood of confusion.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):+1 to Rubens

  Jeff Neuman:Karen?

  Karen Day:still haveing issues. sorry. Jeff go ahead

  Terri Agnew:@Karen, let me know if a dial out would be helpful. I see your
mic is active and unmuted

  Terri Agnew:Karen is now on a telephone connection

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):I was part of the RySG team that
developed the recommendation Jeff is describing.

  Trang Nguyen:@jeff, so essentially the recommendation is to expand string
similarity review to encompass meaning as well (new vs. news)?

  Karen Day:sounds like I still have no audio

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Trang:  No.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):New/News was not a good example.

  Karen Day:my sincere apologies everyone, but it seems my company is
experiencing a VOIP outage now.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):yes

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):or, cake and cakes (as used in the doc)

  Jon Nevett:.child and .children too?

  Jon Nevett:how about ING?

  Rubens Kuhl:.cool x .kühl ?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):not covered

  Jon Nevett:conduct and conducting?

  Jon Nevett:should we expand?

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Jon:  Up to this group.  RySG sub team
decided not to go beyond singular and plural

  Jon Nevett:right -- think and thinking is no more or less confusing than
child and children

  Jeff Neuman:potentially.....but what about .book and .booking?  There are
more examples where adding an ing is not necessarily confusing

  Jeff Neuman:As long as there is a short appeals process for someone to
challenge the string similarity review as well, I think we are covered

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Rubens:  My recollection from the RySG
subteam discussion was that we didn't want to cross languages/scripts
because of the potential disadvantage to IDNs.

  Jeff Neuman:@Kristina - correct

  Rubens Kuhl:Most phising activity does not require support from the TLD.
Unfortunately firstbank.tk is as effective as first.bank. Hopefully that
might change in the future, but the current situation of phishing is not
much affected by TLD.

  Terri Agnew:@Jeff, your mic is not active at this time

  avri doria:when we say we don't support plurals, do we mean they go into a
contention seet?  someone may prefer the plural.

  Terri Agnew:@jeff, it is now active

  Rubens Kuhl:@Avri, I believe it would be contention set if similar to
applicant, denied if similar to existent TLD.

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Avri:  Yes, they go into a contention
set

  avri doria:ot it. just checking.  the phrase don't accept threw me

  Jon Nevett:but new and news ok

  Rubens Kuhl:.campus x .campi

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):@Alan:  Yes, that's why we referenced
using a dictionary to determine the plural

  Jon Nevett:forum and fora would be in the same set

  avri doria:does the rule apply across all languages?

  Annebeth Lange, ccNSO 2:In Norwegian it is another way - adding "en" for
singular and "ene" for plural. But I suppose not many Norwegian years will
be applied for

  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):i can answer this . . .

  avri doria:both inter-language and intra-language

  Rubens Kuhl:Straß, Stras·se

  avri doria:ok only intra-language

  avri doria:any lnaguage for which tere is a dictionary?

  Greg Shatan:Was cross-language but not cross script considered?

  Greg Shatan:That would avoid the IDN issue.

  Rubens Kuhl:@Avri, I think languages without written form is already
excluded from the domain name system. Like Tupi-Guarani.

  Rubens Kuhl:(are)

  avri doria:just lookiing for a generalizable rule

  Jeff Neuman:i think we should defer

  Jeff Neuman:until next call

  Terri Agnew:next call: New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 –
String Contention, Objections & Disputes will take place on Tuesday, 07
March 2017 at 15:00 UTC.

  Jeff Neuman:I think we should also spend some time next time on String
confusion objections as well since we only hit similarity

  Jeff Neuman:There were 2 other recommendations

  Terri Agnew:@Karen, apology is noted for 07 March call

  Jeff Neuman:good call!

  Robin Gross:Thanks Karen and all.  Bye!

  avri doria:bye, thanks