[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] Recording, AC Chat & Attendance from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team Track 3 ­String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday, 18 July 2017 at 20:00 UTC

Terri Agnew terri.agnew at icann.org
Tue Jul 18 21:57:56 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and audio recording of the call attached to this
email and the Adobe Connect recording (visual and audio) and AC Chat below
for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track 3 - String
Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 18 July 2017 at 20:00
UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:
<https://participate.icann.org/p3hu557v9ng/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=3011643f1f7b0839
e912cc31b822a52f47df76a428b3e4dce623421de5d0964f>
https://participate.icann.org/p3hu557v9ng/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>
http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

http://mm.icann.org/pipermail/gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3

Agenda Wiki page:   <https://community.icann.org/x/mnHwAw>
https://community.icann.org/x/mnHwAw

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Terri

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 18 July 2017

  Terri Agnew:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team - Track
3 - String Contention, Objections & Disputes on Tuesday18 July 2017 at 20:00
UTC for 60 minutes.

  Terri Agnew:agenda wiki page:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_m
nHwAw
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_
mnHwAw&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpC
IgmkXhFzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=1XzvS_BUYogQD9npo882Fg3oEOp06wj-6MmAW2BSuV
M&s=GTqj4rkkqhnn-QjYU0tNuyXI5n82E_PbOf62mrpQClM&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=1XzvS_BUYogQD9npo882Fg3oEOp06wj-6MmAW2BSuVM&s=GT
qj4rkkqhnn-QjYU0tNuyXI5n82E_PbOf62mrpQClM&e=

  Steve Chan:Full WG meets on 24 July at 15:00 UTC

  Terri Agnew:everyone can scroll themselves

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:@Terri .. yes

  Jim Prendergast:Does Recommendation 2 include singular and plurals?

  Emily Barabas:Full versions of comments excepted above are available here:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spreads
heets_d_1A5uaxBAgmg7QsFuqMdVvt1HxNZ4jKXnm3Hp0gZra7U0_edit-23gid-3D845153891
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__docs.google.com_spread
sheets_d_1A5uaxBAgmg7QsFuqMdVvt1HxNZ4jKXnm3Hp0gZra7U0_edit-23gid-3D845153891
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=1XzvS_BUYogQD9npo882Fg3oEOp06wj-6MmAW2BSuVM&s=bF
fqtquszig0F4x8_V2VQnNv3Uo9KVDegF0FDcAfxJg&e>
&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=DRa2dXAvSFpCIgmkXh
FzL7ar9Qfqa0AIgn-H4xR2EBk&m=1XzvS_BUYogQD9npo882Fg3oEOp06wj-6MmAW2BSuVM&s=bF
fqtquszig0F4x8_V2VQnNv3Uo9KVDegF0FDcAfxJg&e=

  Emily Barabas:*excerpted

  Jeff Neuman:@JIm - agree and that was discussed previously by this group
when we looked at the small RySG group recommendations

  Jon Nevett:If we have a clear recommendation, let's make it clear in the
policy

  Jon Nevett:ok to add it to guidance if we don't want to change the policy

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):Policy needs to be clear and unambiguous

  Jim Prendergast:yes

  Gg Levine (NABP):I agree that the policy should be clear.

  Jim Prendergast:clear and unambiguous as CLO says

  Jim Prendergast:thats a very important distinction Jeff

  Susan Payne:need to be clear. if we are talking about singular/plural it
needs to be policy

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:agree it needs to be clear

  Jeff Neuman:@Alan - Just to clarify, the GNSO policy did not just think
about visual similarity.  That was much more of an ICANN-staff
interpretation later on

  Jeff Neuman:but agree that being clear here is important and agree with
Paul that singular/plural is not the only kind of confusion

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):I agree with Alan as to developing policy on
singular and plural.  However it also has to be qualified in relation to
closed generics, if awarded.

  Jeff Neuman:WE would also incorporate the previous discussions on this

  Alan Greenberg 2:Jeff, My recollection is that we discussed all sorts of
confusions during the PDP, but that it was only visual that we included as
something to review during the application process. Other types of confusion
could be raised in objections.

  Trang Nguyen:String similarity review vs. string confusion objection.

  Paul McGrady:@Jeff, correct.

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):For example, if a closed generic is awarded for
.poppy, I would feel more favorably disposed of .poppies - but we also have
to be aware that the meaning and purpose of the particular word may not be
the generic.  So, for example, if there is a registered trademark for .poppy
that is for children's clothing as a brand, that probably should not prevent
.poppies for  sale of the flowers.

  Paul McGrady:@Jeff, two different times to look at confusion, but only one
policy governing both.

  Jon Nevett:early on for sure

  Jim Prendergast:yeah - why create a situation where applicants spend time
and resoruces applying, only to be denied once ICANN has the application
fee?

  Trang Nguyen:@Alan, are you talking about an appeals mechanism for the
string similarity review and not using string confusion objection if the
applicant disagrees with the string similarity panel's determination?

  Jeff Neuman:We have string similarity review in this Work Track :)

  Jon Nevett:But we should not foreclose the opportunity for an objection

  Alan Greenberg:@Trang, yes. Correct.

  Jeff Neuman:@Paul - if there are other types of "String similarity" other
than singular/plurals that should be handled up front, you should propose
that

  Alan Greenberg:Where are we in the document?

  Steve Chan:@Alan, the bottom of page 2

  Steve Chan:and page 3

  Alan Greenberg:Thanks.

  Paul McGrady:Is this a policy issue or an implementation issue?

  Paul McGrady:It feels like it should be in the implementation Guidance
instead of policy.  Flat fee is a good idea but it seems granular.

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:as long as implementation guidance provides
assurance to applicants

  Paul McGrady:@Jamie, it will if it makes it into the Guidebook

  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:my concern is that the guidebook in the last round
provided markers that were not adhered to, so that is not really assurance

  Jon Nevett:ICANN could do the remediation

  Paul McGrady:+1 SLO

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Thankyou.