[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt3] AC Recording, attendance & AC Chat for New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team ­ Track 3 ­ String Contention, Objections & Disputes call on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC

Michelle DeSmyter michelle.desmyter at icann.org
Tue Nov 14 21:55:30 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and audio recording of the call attached to this email and the Adobe Connect recording (visual and audio) and AC Chat below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 – String Contention, Objections & Disputes held on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC for 60 minutes.

Adobe Connect recording: https://participate.icann.org/p1jnhe8jmgk/

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:  http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/qZlEB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Michelle

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 14 November 2017

Michelle DeSmyter: Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 3 - String Contention, Objections & Disputes call on Tuesday, 14 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC.
  Michelle DeSmyter:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_qZlEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=54EUBAZFDLRZK7IIqWf7c02YlL7cBWsdFHp8XKVMxK0&s=FneYL6BFo1k6XVfBD_8IfKFf8zshqe3G6YGwb1Qaqxs&e=
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Hi all
  Gg Levine (NABP):I will switch to audio only in 25 minutes.
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:Hi everyone
  Aslam G Mohamed:Hi everyone.
  Tijani BEN JEMAA:my first call
  Karen Day:Hi all, a gentle reminder to please mute if you are not speaking
  Jeff Neuman:i defer to Cheryl
  Jeff Neuman:Having mic issues
  Jeff Neuman:nope
  Aslam G Mohamed 2:there is an echo
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):ah that's a technical issue not a defer then Jeff 😊
  Jeff Neuman:its both
  Jeff Neuman:Yes we will have to be proactive and aggressive
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):That comes more naturally to some of us than others. ;-)
  Alan Greenberg:;-)
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):perhaps reaching out to the wider community
  Jeff Neuman:@Kristina - I resemble that remark
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):offer briefing and webinars watch.,
  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:+1 jamie and alan
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):yes Jamie
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):important to try that again
  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:i guess the word is outreach
  Jeff Neuman:We have been trying, but it would help if you all know of people that are no longer participating that you can direct us to
  Karen Day:@Jamie we tried to socialize CC@ questions to Community applicanants but as Robin notes many are reluctant to speak until the review is complete
  Karen Day:sorry CC2 questions
  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:i think that the CPE website lists all those who went through the process and their contact info should still be listed on the Applicant website.
  Jeff Neuman:@Jamie - True, but we are reluctant to use that website to reach out to those in an unsolicited manner.  Thus, if anyone knows them and can facilitate the communication, the better
  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:I'm happy to reach out to those I may have met along the way. Who should I ask them to reach back to?
  Jeff Neuman:If we were to have categories of communities, would we have different criteria?
  Krishna Seeburn - Kris:perhaps we can get a list of previous people and talk to them
  Gg Levine (NABP):How would the priveleges differ by category?
  Robin Gross:Gg, that would be for us to decide.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:What's the distinction between a community category and other categories?
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):yet to be determined I guess Donna
  Kurt Pritz 2:I think Anne's comments demonstrates the unworkability of this group trying to determine a priori how to accommodate the purposes of yet-to-be borne TLDs. Rather than create categories before the round, it’d be better to create a process for forgiving contractual conditions depending on the purpose of the application (and not the identity of the applicant).
  Emily Barabas:@Jaime, I just sent you a private message about points of contact regarding feedback on CPE. Thanks!
  Donna Austin, Neustar:agree with Kurt's comment
  Jeff Neuman:@Kurt - I dont believe we are talking about contractual forgiveness, but rather forgiveness of rigid criteria in the application process
  Jeff Neuman:and for that, we cannot adopt a wait and see approach
  Jeff Neuman:But perhaps there needs to be a closer association between the string and the community
  Kurt Pritz 2:@ Jeff: As an example, Aren't brands forgiven from the Code of Conduct contractual condition? Haven't we spoken about reduced registry fees for brands or not-for-profits?
  Jeff Neuman:I think Jon Nevett made a good comment during one of the sessions which stuck with me
  Jeff Neuman:Its not that we are trying to make it difficult for communities....but perhaps the string should be closer related to the community
  Kurt Pritz 2:The American Bowlers Association might object to the American Bar Association getting .ABA - it is very difficult to fix
  Jeff Neuman:Kurt, we can always think of those examples, but both could apply for those TLDs as communities and then work through contention
  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:@Jeff ... it sounds good in theory, but in practice it got completely twisted in practice. When the world knows and refers to the "gay community" in every aspect of reality as the "gay community", but that community cannot secure .GAY in CPE then serious questions are raised.
  Donna Austin, Neustar:Isn't that what CPE was designed for?
  Jon Nevett:I think that the registries recommended that a community that meets a certain level of criteria, it gets some benefit (e.g. some multiplier at auction) and if they meet a higher  level, they get the TLD outright.
  Jon Nevett:this way Navajo nation gets .navajo outright, but ABA doesn't necessarily get .law, but maybe gets some benefit
  Jeff Neuman:We have that option
  Jeff Neuman:Lets be precise
  Jeff Neuman:Can someone get the 2008 Final report which was passed by the GNSO
  Steve Chan:@Jeff, here: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__gnso.icann.org_en_issues_new-2Dgtlds_pdp-2Ddec05-2Dfr-2Dparta-2D08aug07.htm&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=54EUBAZFDLRZK7IIqWf7c02YlL7cBWsdFHp8XKVMxK0&s=0zWYhydc69D9DpO5NmgSpGydrCcPhl1GPnHRIYNW7xQ&e=
  Jeff Neuman:Right....the GNSO did not define which communities it was targeting
  Donna Austin, Neustar:Only in terms of going through CPE
  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:that is correct Robyn
  ken stubbs:definitions are still vague here. especiall if you have groups of "groups"
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):We (GNSO Council at the time) intentionally interpreted community broadly.
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):IG P:  "community should be interpreted broadly and will include, for example, an economic sector, a cultural community, or a linguistic community. It may be a closely related community which believes it is impacted."
  Jeff Neuman:The GNSO defined a community only for purposes of filing objections
  Jeff Neuman:but not in terms of what would qualify as a community for purposes of priority
  Kristina Rosette (Amazon Registry):Time to dust off the AGB redlines.
  Jeff Neuman:To clarify, the GAC did not support the recommendations of the report.  Infact, I think I asked them to be specific identify which recommendations of the report they supported and which they did not
  Tom Dale:Jeff, that is correct. What GAC agreed was that the recommendations should go to the PDP as an input/resource.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Council of Europe refers to this definition:  "Anky groups of individuals or any legal entities brought together in order to collectively act, express, promote, pursue or defend a filed of common interests".
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair) 2:Co-Chair hat off I prefer the variable approach over the "one size fits all"  one....
  ken stubbs:key here is the definition of what constitutes a "community" under the terms of the guidebook  (incredibly political here)
  Donna Austin, Neustar:a variable approach gets tricky when you have two applicants from different community sectors applying for the same string
  ken stubbs:+1 donna
  ken stubbs:example = INTA   a.https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__inta.gob.ar_&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=54EUBAZFDLRZK7IIqWf7c02YlL7cBWsdFHp8XKVMxK0&s=Fqvj9jyonMvOkDcHGz8wSqwUoDwDSooqGR7gaNOxCeY&e=    b. inta.org
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Problems with evaluators could be why we have problems.  In other words, it may be the panel process, not the definition of Community.
  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:I agree with Robin that a lack of direction was a problem
  Jon Nevett:I agree with Robin -- we need to have a clear definition
  Jeff Neuman:Rather than thinking of it as a "variable approach" could we think of it as a sliding scale
  Donna Austin, Neustar:i think the implementation of CPE and some of the difficult to understand decisions was what created the problems.
  Paul McGrady:Thanks Robin.  Well run!
  ken stubbs:adios folks !
  Jamie Baxter | dotgay:+1 Donna
  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair) 2:thanks Robin,  thanks everyone..  bye 👋 for now
  Karen Day:Thanks, All.
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Agree with Donna re CPE evalution
  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Agree with Donna re CPE evalution'