[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Attendance, Recording, AC recording, & AC Chat from New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team Track 4 ­ IDNs/Technical & Operations call on Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC

Julie Bisland julie.bisland at icann.org
Thu Nov 30 21:59:12 UTC 2017

Dear All,

Please find the attendance and recording of the call attached to this email. The Adobe Connect recording and AC Chat are below for the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations call held on Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC.

Adobe Connect recording:  https://participate.icann.org/p7hr371pmkm/<https://participate.icann.org/p7hr371pmkm/?OWASP_CSRFTOKEN=c5dc117acd7d7b4d65d028e4b8b4cd2806a0dcdefbc08737427d20d0f97a6a85>

The recordings of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page: http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar

Agenda Wiki page:  https://community.icann.org/x/s5lEB

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Julie

-------------------------------

Adobe Connect chat transcript for 30 November 2017

  Julie Bisland:Welcome to the New gTLD Subsequent Procedures Sub Team – Track 4 – IDNs/Technical & Operations call on Thursday, 30 November 2017 at 20:00 UTC

  Julie Bisland:Agenda wiki page: https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__community.icann.org_x_s5lEB&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=ngiY1MpLw-GXY-Bs-lXUUsByVemVv4o964mmSRyz4MU&s=bQCMNRuKJ_a2mDCxOd4mHGKlkBpJaJBWihBEOdJcV2U&e=

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):Hello All

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):sometimes Skype to toll free US number works (also for free)

  Julie Hedlund:Unsynced.

  Jessica Hooper:The phone ending in 2801 is mine. JHooper with Verisign. Thanks.

  Julie Bisland:Thank you, Jessica

  Rubens Kuhl:Consenus as stated in GNSO guidelines, which is rough consensus.

  Rubens Kuhl:Rough consensus is how IETF prefer calling it.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):It is the morning time of bird calls here soI will have a different noisy background  but we can choose :-)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC): GNSO Working Group Guidelines specify several different levels of consensus.  These include Minority Statement where applicable.

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):what kind of specific situations for 1-char IDN TLDs we forsee? Does Unicode Character 'BEER MUG' (U+1F37A) count as one?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):After today as we review we will then put together a more detailedtime line for what we need to still deal with and settle where possible before the publication of the Preliminary Report in March

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Maxim wouldn't that be an emoji?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):not an IDN

Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):a single item describing the concept, I am not sure we will not have enoji TLDs

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):similar to hyerogliphs e.t.c.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Internationalized Domain Names Languages have to date only referred to 'official

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):thanks for the clarification

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):' languages and scripts  but I do not beleive Symbols per se

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):But I am not an expert in this

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):6

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):so far IANA IDN tables have hyeroglyps https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.iana.org_domains_idn-2Dtables_tables_accenture-5Fegyp-5F2.5.txt&d=DwIFaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=QiF-05YzARosRvTYd84AB_UYInlydmFcjNmBM5XgySw&m=ngiY1MpLw-GXY-Bs-lXUUsByVemVv4o964mmSRyz4MU&s=vk9fMO3MTQuXZggXZf0TzUR7cJfAvmjL7PfVzz1iHRM&e= for example. and as I understand all current TLD's IDNs are to be allowed

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Anne  see your hand this is foe slide 7

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):YES - re first bullet point

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):OK

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):hoped I hadn't missed it on 6 ;-)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Thanks Anne

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Anne fresh hand?

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):I am sorry I cannot understand Rubens at all at this time.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair): the audio is choppy

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Thanks Kurt that is very clear to me

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):My proposal for the friendly amendment refers to the fact that aggregating should be (consistent with order of priority to be determined by Work Track ___ recommendations).  Agree with Kurt that innovative proposals should not be disadvantaged.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):can we have some proposed language typed into the chat then?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):so we can capture properly

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Anne we hit send at the same time ;=)

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):slide 8

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):currently RSEP for Registries seems to be broken

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Sorry if my AC responses are slow the connectivity is orange to red in my AC room today

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Per Kurt's comment, we should add a second bullet point  "Innovative proposals requiring further technical evaluation should not be disadvantaged in terms of order of processing applications".

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Noted Anne

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Slide 9 Actually

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):So are we going to modify Slide 7 in accordance with the comments or not?  (Again, I cannot understand what Rubens is saying.)

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):There is too much background noise.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Yes Anne we will

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Thanks Cheryl

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):audio is breaking

  Julie Bisland:@Rubens, you're line is cutting in and out

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Rubens is thre yet another location you can try?

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):the audio is now dropping in and out

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):I do not hear Rubens now

  Julie Bisland:@Rubens. we are losing you

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Stop please Rubens

  Julie Bisland:should i mute Rubens?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):@Rubens, we lost a minute of two of your speech

  Rubens Kuhl:Ok Cheryl.

  Rubens Kuhl:Ok Cheryl

  Rubens Kuhl:On bridge now but let's move on with Cheryl

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):we will mute his line

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):RSEP currently has no predicted finish time

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):"whether a new gTLD application should be required to disclose new services at the time of application"

  Rubens Kuhl:Rubens Kuhl: "Whether applicants need to specify which pre-approved services will be provided"

  Rubens Kuhl:That's bullet 1, it's already there.

  Rubens Kuhl:Yes, there was support to change the policy.

  Jeff Neuman:Actually RSEP was always how new registry services is evaluated

  Rubens Kuhl:Consensus is not unanimity.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):The RSEP only for the Registries (who have Registry Agreement), and might not be so for Applicants

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):at least the policy itself is older than the therm Applicant

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):*term

  Rubens Kuhl:That's the question posed at bullet 1.

  Rubens Kuhl:Services that are not pre-approved already require being disclosed in application, if applicant wants it being evaluated.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):he was muted

  Julie Bisland:try now, Rubens

  Jeff Neuman:I think that is right

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):are we on page 9?

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):or 11?

  Julie Hedlund:We were on Financial Evaluation, but Anne is speaking to slide 11, it appears.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):I was picking up from 9 again

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):but Anne is on 11

  Rubens Kuhl:Anne, I believe we are still in Financial Evaluation

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):SO when she finishes we will move to 10

  Julie Bisland:Please note: Rubens will be able to chat only unless he states otherwise

  Julie Hedlund:@Anne: The notes, for the most part, echo the slides so that the slide text can be seen in relation to the discussion points as they arise.  Sorry for any confusion.

  Julie Hedlund:As there is a lot to type staff tries to get a little ahead if possible so that all is covered.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):legacy TLDs have different contracts then new gTLDs , so Name Collisions are not applicable

  Rubens Kuhl:Means ICANN would do the controlled interruption, not the registries

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):there were talks about 90 days and 120 days , as I remember

  Rubens Kuhl:About the length, it would be the same as 2012, since there was no consensus to change it.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):ok

  Rubens Kuhl:ICANN always use contractors, they rarely do anything themselves. But they operate DNS servers, so they could do it if they feel like it.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):do we know how much time name collisions lists calculation takes next time? a year like last time?

  Rubens Kuhl:That means than an applicant could mention whether they believe the string is low risk, aggravated risk, or high risk. And if one of the later two, they can suggest a framework in the application.

  Nathaniel Edwards:Wouldn't applicants always claim there isn't a collision risk?

  Rubens Kuhl:Note those slides are recap, they are not tentative language.

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):No doubt

  Rubens Kuhl:No they were not.

  Rubens Kuhl:Note that no decision was supposed to happen in this call. And indeed none was taken.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):it would be great to send the deck with the notification of the call

  Jeff Neuman:The slides will be sent out and we can comment on the e-mail

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):is it possible to use numbers instead of bullets? (will be simpler to follow, like 9.1 for the first bullet on p.9)

  Rubens Kuhl:Nothing to add, thanks Cheryl for running the later part of the meeting.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):military style throat phone :) might be a solution

  Julie Bisland:NEXT CALL: Thursday, 14 December 2017 at 03:00 UTC

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):birds sound nice

  Anne Aikman-Scalese (IPC):Thank you Cheryl.

  Maxim Alzoba (FAITID):bye all

  Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO - PDP Co-Chair):Bye everyone ... Thank you