[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt4] Registry Services straw-person

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at nic.br
Fri Sep 1 13:31:02 UTC 2017

While people think of something, it's clear that the way registry services is handled in parallel or not and whether it costs more or not are the most contentious and the ones less likely to reach consensus on. So, we can be silent on those, notably on fees which is not WT4 scope and then the straw-person becomes:

"Applicants will be allowed but not required to specify additional registry services. List of  previously approved registry services (IDN Languages, GPML, BTPPA) to be included by reference in AGB and contract.
If applicant informs additional registry services, they will be evaluated thru RSEP. Applicant will choose whether the evaluation is to occur at evaluation time, contracting time or after contract signing."

This carries harmonization with how registry services are evaluated for current registries, and every requirement of public consultation that exists in RSEP is inherited by registry services evaluation for subsequent procedures. While this could put an extra burden on ICANN for doing the RSEPs instead of an evaluation panel, experience shows that most, or almost all, applications end up proposing "vanilla" services, so the likelihood of that happening seems small. It also assures applicants and other contention set members that the deadlines specified in RSEP policy will apply to them as well, a right that previously applied only to already established registries.

Please let me and the list know whether this address all concerns that are not conflicting with standing policy.

Rubens