[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Geographic terms: additional categories

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Thu Apr 19 07:05:52 UTC 2018

Dear all

If I may chime in… the 2012 round has shown that some names with geographic significance which were left out of the 2012 AGB rules on “geo names” have created and are still creating issues.

What is needed in my opinion is a framework that covers such names (to what level of granularity is something we would need to decide on) in order to create predictability and a fair say for the interested applicants and the affected communities (which normally will be represented by different Government levels).

As I have mentioned before, according to the available data (for instance the data circulated prior to the webinar organized in April 2017) the 2012 AGB requirement of a “non-objection letter” by the relevant public authorities worked well, as it created a good mix of incentives for applicants and relevant authorities to arrive at mutually accepted solutions for the delegation of the strings.

This by no means implies to take such names out of the pool of potential TLD. It just contributes in creating a framework for getting the right people at the table before the application is submitted and preempts many potential ex-post conflicts…

Best regards

Jorge