[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Conference call: city names

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Mon Apr 30 11:22:13 UTC 2018

Dear Liz,

you concluded (and forgive me if I got you wrong):
         “As a starting point, my recommendation would be that we don’t have any special treatment for place names as TLDs

            and that applicants for those names would be evaluated against other business and technical criteria just like another application.”

I am voicing objection (which is hard to do – as you are so likeable)! STRONG OBJECTION. First: All city applications WERE obviously “evaluated against business and technical criteria just like another application” – they were not handed out like candy!

I am professionally dealing with city gTLDs since 2004 – about 13.5 years long. You do not have to be a genius – or being forced by ICANN policy – to map the underlying problems out, and solve them:

*         Constituents of the said city should be involved – for example via ownership and policy board (hence .berlin was a multi-stakeholder owned applicant – owned by hundreds of entities)

*         The applicant should not only be supported by the city – but also by its constituents (.berlin had several hundred supporting organizations each representing a constituency in  the city)

*         If there is any mentionable city with an identical name: Go and get their support! (.berlin approached already in 2006 five other Berlins, even if they had all less than 20k inhabitants)

*         The sovereign of the target city should be closely involved and support the project actively (.berlin approached the city government already in 2005!)

With .berlin we did all of the above BEFORE ICANN even STARTED the PDP back in 2006; in other words: voluntary and without being forced by policy.

So to hear that we should have ZERO threshold for cities in the next round – just to make it “more fair”:
Sorry, but no. If anything than the opposite. In my mind city applicants should be (like btw .berlin was set up in 2005 and then applied as) community applicants. It’s easy to waltz into a majors office and promise 85% of the (artificially diluted) profits to the city (shit happened in 2011 and 2012) and completely IGNORE the city’s constituents. Some applicants had ZERO roots or contact with the constituents of  city – just got the major’s  letter and applied. Not really cool.

The idea that a river “New” would grant rights for a “.new” is preposterous. Obviously NOT. So if we are concerned (and the concern is very valid) that generic place names might be exploited to snag away generic gTLDs: why not simply limit both the objection rights AND the requirement for a letter of non-objection for strings that are IDENTICAL to a generic dictionary term?

Last time I checked (and I checked a lot in the past 13 years) there is really just a very tiny amount of cities which bear a name that is identical to a generic term. In these few cases we might have to let some panel decide – but unlikely that we even GET such application.

However I am very much in agreement with you that we have a clear problem regarding:

*         What size (or importance) of a geo location leads to “objection rights”; or the requirement for a letter of approval? If I apply for .frankfurt (a city that is somehow well known among other things because it has a quite frequented Airport) – could a tiny 8,000 people nest “Frankfurt” in Australia demand ransom to not object (or grant a letter of non-objection)? In other words: We need some objective for limitation on proof of “impact”. And we might need to utilize a panel here – to avoid IRP’s and other monstrous, time-consuming mechanisms.

*         The same is true if somebody applies for a generic term (.new, .save) or brand (.tata): What is the threshold for the requirement for a letter of non-objection? .bar and .tata were examples in 2012 …… these needed to provide letters of non-objection because they were listed in ISO 3166 – and the Tata region denied the letter. But outside of 3166: When is a region, river, area, city or mountain important enough so that the affiliated people (or rather their representatives) need to approve? Just because there is a “New River” in the U.S. – I do not think the people living at this tiny stream should be able to stop a .new!

So instead saying that we are SCRAPPING all protections for the people living in a city – let’s better keep all protections; and figure out how to avoid that an applicant needs approval of a body that isn’t actually really “impacted” by the applied for gTLD. So what is “impact”? Well: If the condom brand “LONDON” applied for “.london” – and got the TLD: the citizens of London are deprived of their chance to use .london as identifier. If Donuts makes a .new for “new stuff” – are the people living along the New River in any way deprived of anything?

The big question is: Are we able to find a “one size fits it all” rule to map this out – or do we say: “Well, we wanted to avoid beauty contests – but in these few rare cases only a panel will be able to decide: let’s both parties bring forward their arguments – then decide”. In my mind MUCH better than no protection at all – or some monstrous rule that attempts to regulate what is actually not easy to regulate at all.

Example: Perth applies for .perth as singular applicant with the city’s approval. Two other Perth’s call the panel. A solution could be that the contestants agree to have a joined policy board – and every citizen in all Perth cities can apply for domains. The end goal is to PROTECT THE RIGHTS OF ALL PEOPLE AFFILIATED WITH A CERTAIN STRING! In the case of “Perth” that would be all people living in sizeable cities named Perth! It’s not about who is bigger, older or a capital. This isn’t a competition with ONE “winner” – we do not want “winners” but equal protections for people who might need a string to identify themselves.

Maybe I am just not competitive enough; bit I still strongly believe we evolve the DNS to create benefits for the Internet users – not to “win” or “line our pockets with cash”. This is not about winners – but how to make sure that affected Internet users are served best.

Thanks,

Alexander.berlin