[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT5 Agenda, Work Plan & Consensus Call on Country & Territory Names - Please review before our call.

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 16:10:53 UTC 2018

Katrin,

That seems to be a semantic distinction without a substantive difference,
unless I misunderstand your point. How would conditions differ from
restrictions (or permissions, consents, non-objections, vetos, blocking
rights, preventive rights, pre-emotive rights, conditional reservations,
approvals, or any other term that has or could be used)?

Whatever the words, the substance seems to come down to either:

A.  A permission-type process where an application can’t move forward
unless a governmental authority allows it to move forward.
B.  A challenge-type process where an application can move forward unless a
governmental authority initiates a challenge process of some sort and
succeeds in that process.

We could come up with neutral terms (“apple” and “banana” for A and B
above) but we need to move beyond terminology and deal with substance.

Greg