[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT5 Agenda, Work Plan & Consensus Call on Country & Territory Names - Please review before our call.

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Wed Aug 8 20:55:59 UTC 2018

I think ICANN cannot ignore what is going on in the world. There is a
huge sensitivity to cultural appropriation right now. Minority cultures
and peoples are coming forward to reclaim what was taken from them --
and that includes names. Whether we like it or not, it would be very
politically incorrect for us to come forward with a plan that allows any
enterprise/brand to appropriate a name/string that "belongs", in a
cultural sense, to a particular group, especially an indigenous group --
something like Apache, for example.

Marita