[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] [Ext] AW: Additional Input Requested - "in any language"

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Aug 9 14:50:26 UTC 2018

/Working Paper 54/ [unstats.un.org]
<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__unstats.un.org_unsd_geoinfo_UNGEGN_docs_26th-2Dgegn-2Ddocs_WP_WP54-5FUNGEGN-2520WG-2520Country-2520Names-2520Document-25202011.pdf&d=DwMGaQ&c=FmY1u3PJp6wrcrwll3mSVzgfkbPSS6sJms7xcl4I5cM&r=mBQzlSaM6eYCHFBU-v48zs-QSrjHB0aWmHuE4X4drzI&m=3RBrAW4mWZcTPVfCD2YJOz3VODn7HkbFx9d59ip1OQ8&s=TLfnTlAegQWCm3YnzQVenw5bkmrnQzGkY0wNxKVA34Y&e=>/is
a fascinating resource. It does not appear difficult to identify the
national official languages of countries./

But it has problems. I looked at India which lists English and Hindi as
official languages. But they don't list the 12 official regional
languages like Urdu, Bengali, Punjabi -- many thousands of people speak
these languages and I don't see how we could disenfranchise them.  So I
am going to go for "official and commonly spoken languages" or "official
and relevant languages." I could also go for "any language" but that's a
big door to open.

Marita