[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT5 Agenda, Work Plan & Consensus Call on Country & Territory Names - Please review before our call.

Rosalía Morales rosalia.morales at nic.cr
Fri Aug 17 15:44:25 UTC 2018

Dear All,

I think that governments do not inherently own anything; however, I strongly believe there are intangible values, associations, sovereignty and reputations attached to any name, especially a country name.

Moreover, I strongly disagree with Liz’s argument that: ¨The distinction between countries, country codes, gTLDs, cultural communities and very real practical business models has disappeared completely.¨

There are clear distinctions among TLDs depending on the use, the administration and mission of the organization. Even though ccTLDs are all managed differently, in most cases (.tv being a clear exception) are not-for-profit organizations that work to improve their local Internet ecosystems, give back to their country and represent their country’s name in the best possible way.

It is a huge responsibility to represent a country’s name. We cannot take this lightly and act like all TLDs are the same. I understand the importance of freedom of speech and open markets, but I also understand the sensitive associated to a country’s name. I my opinion there is no denying it.

I believe we should not include 3 letter country names in this coming round. There is no clear consensus how we should use a country’s name in this group.

Best,
Rosalía
[cid:B190111C-4AAD-456E-809F-8934B6CA8935]