[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] WT5 Agenda, Work Plan & Consensus Call on Country & Territory Names - Please review before our call.

Liz Williams internet.governance at icloud.com
Fri Aug 17 16:13:13 UTC 2018

Hello everyone

I appreciated Rosalie’s perspective especially around the discussion of “the distinction between countries, country codes, gTLDs, cultural communities and very real practical business models has disappeared completely.¨  During the 2012 round, I supported the application for numerous three letter TLDs and for many other permutations of IDNs and ASCII script.  In my experience, I stand behind my statement that the distinctions have blurred completely.  I also stand by my experience of supporting country codes to expand their business opportunities which either forced them or encouraged them to think more broadly about the survival of their business by running TLDs that means they are now ICANN contracted parties.

I am not arguing that all TLDs are the same.  They are not nor should they be as it is a key tenet of valuable competitive service provision for registrants that they find products which suit their needs.  I am also not arguing that a country’s name ought not be protected.  That is well settled by consensus positions in this group and elsewhere.

We cannot put the "three letter code" genie back in the bottle.  It has been out for many years and we now need to recognise, for any upcoming round, how best we can develop policy which is clear for applicants, for evaluators and for end users.  That is valuable work to do which is futuristic and open.

Liz

….
Dr Liz Williams | Internet Governance
M: +61 436 020 595 | +44 7824 877757
S:  lizwilliams1963

Important Notice
This email may contain information which is confidential and/or subject to legal privilege, and is intended for the use of the named addressee only. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or copy any part of this email. If you have received this email by mistake, please notify the sender and delete this message immediately.