[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] [Gnso-newgtld-wg] Notes and Action Items - New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group - 11 December 2017

Timo Võhmar timo.vohmar at internet.ee
Thu Jan 4 11:29:51 UTC 2018

Hi

If we speak only and strictly about business models in the sense how to
market and how to monetize the transactions then yes this part is not
restricted nor specified by ICANN nor any of the sub organisations. But
leaving that aside ICANN dictates great deal on how one can and must run a
*gTLD (what data to collect how to verify the data and contacts, where and
how to store the data etc) furthermore the city government has almost no
control over how the city geo gTLD is run, marketed or used unless it
operates the TLD it self. The letter of non-objection works as one time
sign-off. If the winner of the "beauty contest" decides not to act
according to their initial sales pitch - i do not see on what grounds could
the city government request ICANN to stop the delegation or re-delegate it
to another entity. Someone please correct me if I am wrong here by pointing
me to correct regulation.

Best Regards
Timo Võhmar
Estonian Internet Foundation