[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP: Work Track 5 Comments

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Jun 28 17:21:10 UTC 2018

That's right -- although in some areas, one might also have to deal with
one level up -- which in Canada are the provinces. If a province wanted
to change the name of a city, here in Ontario,Canada, the city has to
comply. Things are always changing. In 1998, the province forced an
amalgamation which created Metro Toronto out of the regional
municipality of *Metropolitan Toronto*and its six constituent
municipalities. As part of this, East York, Etobicoke, North York,
Scarborough, York, and the City of *Toronto*(1834) were dissolved by an
act of the Government of Ontario.

This happens with countries as well of course (USSR), but it will happen
much more frequently with cities. That's another reason to go with a
size definition with a few other options for smaller states and perhaps
some leeway for historical reasons. The larger the city, the more stable
the name. I have no evidence of that, but it seems to make sense.

Marita