[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] New gTLD Subsequent Procedures PDP: Work Track 5 Comments

Marita Moll mmoll at ca.inter.net
Thu Jun 28 20:42:43 UTC 2018

In answer to your question, Alexander, would cities in Ontario (under
normal circumstances) have to solicit support from the province  --  no,
I doubt that very much, and I can't see the federal government meddling
in there either. I was merely illustrating that things are always in a
state of flux -- and whatever system we set up has to take that into
account as well. Laws change, cities change, populations move around.
Currently, people are exiting large cities in war-torn countries in the
Middle East and elsewhere. Populations go down as well as up.

So, to your simple, transparent and fair measure to identify cities, I
would suggest we keep these things in mind and try to build in some
flexibility as well. At least, with a population measure, a list based
on credible statistics could maintained in the same way as the country
code list is maintained and amended through a policy process as is now
the case with changes to country names.

Credible databases do exist. The following site *World Population
Review* is full of information about city populations by country with
data sourced through the U.N. Some historical info as well.

worldpopulationreview.com <worldpopulationreview.com/>

Marita