[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Notes and Action Items - Work Track 5 - 7 November 2018

Jaap Akkerhuis jaap at NLnetLabs.nl
Fri Nov 9 11:10:39 UTC 2018

Dear all,

First apologies for missing this meeting. I returned from ICANN 63 with a flu and am only now slowly recovering.

Looking at these notes I see:

> Nick Wenban-Smith, Nominet: ref e8 I understand Jaap’s point is quite a technical one and hopefully we can resolve this and remove this line

I assume that this is about Recommendation #8 and the remark:

Some Work Track members have stated that an “exceptionally reserved” list does not exist under the ISO 3166 standard, and therefore it is unclear what this provision references. Do you agree or disagree? Please explain.

Let me explain:

The definition of "exceptional reservations" in the current standard,  (ISO 3166-1:2013(E/F)), is in Section 7.5, Reservation of Code Elements:
7.5.4 Exceptional reserved code elements

Code elements may be reserved, in exceptional cases, for country names which the ISO 3166/MA has decided not to include in this part of ISO 3166, but for which an interchange requirement exists. Before such code elements are reserved, advice from the relevant authority must be sought.

("this part"  is Part 1 of ISO 3166).

Section 7.6 say that a list of reserved code elements is available from the secretariat. In practice, nor all reserved code elements are actually representing country names. One example of that is UN. The secretariat has made the list available on the online browsing platform (OBP) <https://www.iso.org/obp/ui#search <https://www.iso.org/obp/ui#search>>. Use the filter "Other codes->Exceptionally reserved" to find them.

The UN entry reads: Refers to the United Nations and reserved by the ISO 3166 Maintenance Agency.  Do note that these are pretty informal descriptions and does not use the formal language the ISO 3166-1 code entries use.

For another example, compare the entries in the OBP for the assigned code for SH and the exceptional reserved code TA which both refer to Tristan da Cunha.

So, this brought me to my comment that there is not always short nor long name associated with an exceptionally reserved code. The way the AGB 2012 described this is at minimum a bit fuzzy.

Regards,

jaap