[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] [Ext] AW: Action Item - City Name (i.e., non-capital city name) Definition Research

Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch
Sat Nov 17 06:47:18 UTC 2018

Dear Steve
I would very much appreciate that outreach to former members to be done.
kindly
Jorge

Von: Steve Chan <steve.chan at icann.org>
Datum: 16. November 2018 um 22:52:07 MEZ
Bis: Cancio Jorge BAKOM <Jorge.Cancio at bakom.admin.ch>, gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org <gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5 at icann.org>
Betreff: Re: [Ext] AW: [Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Action Item - City Name (i.e., non-capital city name) Definition Research

Dear Jorge,

This is policy staff work in conjunction with our colleagues in GDD who supported the New gTLD Program. We have a high level of certainty that our understanding is accurate. The criteria in the Applicant Guidebook (AGB) for city names, that served as the basis for the Geographic Names Panel analysis specifically notes that, " Unlike other types of geographic names, there are no established lists that can be used as objective references in the evaluation process." Therefore, the Geographic Names Panel utilized the criteria in the AGB rather than attempting to formulate a prescriptive list, which would have been a significant departure from the AGB.

The Geographic Names Panel is no longer constituted, so to the extent the Work Track believes this research for the 2012 round needs to be further validated by some of the former panel members, that would need to be done as informal outreach.

Best,
Steve