[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] Proposed Agenda - Work Track 5 - 28 November 2018 at 20:00 UTC

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Wed Nov 28 13:13:22 UTC 2018

Hi,

The “formerly called bright line” rule proposal (page 79 of 117 in the WT5 Report PDF of Nov 27) states:

Proposal: Apply a clear and unambiguous rule that any geographic term that is not explicitly and expressly protected is unprotected. No objection or non-consent can be used to stop its registration

In my view non-capital city name based gTLD strings are ONLY “explicitly and expressly protected” by the “Geographic Names Review” if:

“It is clear from applicant statements within the

application that the applicant will use the TLD

primarily for purposes associated with the city

name ……”

Quote 2.2.1.4.2   2.(a) of the 2012 AGB

In other words: If an applicant DOESN’T make clear that he wants to use the string PRIMARELY “for purposes associated with the city name” – then in my mind per the current AGB provisions such string is NOT “explicitly and expressly protected” – hence the applicant does not need to provide city government support! In other words: The way the “bright line proposal” is formulated today would lead to a ban of “gTLD civil rights”: no objections allowed!

But the author of the bright line rule asserted, that it is his intention that ALL non-capital city name based applications (whether or not geo-use intent is present) would NOT be subject to the bright line rule:
Greg in his email from November 19 2018:

I think you are misinterpreting my proposal, and misunderstanding and mis-presenting it as well.

First, the proposal relates only to strings that are not expressly protected as geographic terms in the AGB.  If "Shanghai" is a non-capital city name (which it is), and we have a provision that protects "non-capital city names," then this proposal would not apply to an application for .shanghai.

In this light (but only if Greg approves):

My suggestion would be to change the bright line rule into:

Proposal: Apply a clear and unambiguous rule that any geographic term that is not explicitly and expressly impacted by the geographic names review is unprotected. No objection or non-consent can be used to stop its registration

Obviously I am open to other ways to edit of Greg’s proposal. But the wording “explicitly and expressly protected” is pretty clear! It would EXCEMPT non-capital city name based gTLD applications if the applicants wouldn’t declare to PRIMARELY target the city. So a “.shanghai” being applied the exact same way as “.bike” could not be objected by the Shanghai Government or the Shanghai stakeholder group of local constituents. Do we really want that?

Right now I am quoted on this with comment “A110R107” (page 79 of 117 – comments at the right):

Alexander Schubert:

Suggested altering the proposal to state “A brand or

generic term based application that is NOT a city,

subnational division, unesco region would simply pass

the geographic names review WITHOUT any further

investigation. So it would not be “impacted” by it.

However a non-capital city name would be always

impacted, as the panel had to start evaluating the

application – trying to find out whether the applicant

intends to use it “primarily for purposes associated with

the city name”.

That’s not my “suggested alteration” – but part of my EXPLAINATION why the bright line rule is harmful! Please change this into:

Alexander Schubert:
Suggested altering the proposal to state “Proposal: Apply a

clear and unambiguous rule that any geographic term that

is not explicitly and expressly impacted by the geographic

names review is unprotected. No objection or non-consent

can be used to stop its registration.”
He claims that the current version of the proposal would eliminate

the right to object to non-capital city name based gTLD applications
that do not require a letter of non-objection; making it impossible
for vulnerable city communities to defend their gTLD namespace
against gTLD squatting, extortion and abuse.

Again: please do NOT alter Greg’s proposal without his consent. But please correct my “A110R107” comment.

Thanks,

Alexander.berlin