[Gnso-newgtld-wg-wt5] proposal for discussion to modify existing geo-category policy of when to require govt letters

Alexander Schubert alexander at schubert.berlin
Mon Sep 24 22:27:31 UTC 2018

Dear Maureen,

You are addressing the problematic of smaller nations – and their even smaller cities and regions.

Let’s look at the different harm scenarios by size of geo entity

1.       If a geo entity is “sizeable” (and industrialized – meaning people need domains) then the string is a target for portfolio applicants. E.g. cities over 500,000 or 1 Million people in industrialized nations.
These strings are few in number – so there is no high risk that a “brand” would be interested. The risk are portfolio applicants trying to make quick bucks.

2.       If a geo entity is middle sized (say between 50,000 and 500,000 people) then it’s not anymore really interesting for portfolio applicants (too few potential registrants to create high enough ROI)
But there is a much higher number of geo entities: more brands that might bear the same name

3.       If a geo entity is really smallish (below 50,000 people) they are completely safe from portfolio applicants in my mind. But in the same time I can’t really imagine many cases where community constituents would ever want to run the string as a gTLD! Too small a place, too few prospective registrants.
Hence even IF there was a brand that bears the same name: In case they would use the domain as brand gTLD; I don’t see harm in that.

Obviously exceptions to these examples are always existing; “Aspen” in Colorado being one.

There is also a market mechanism that impacts small country communities: The ccTLD of a small country is usually not very crowded; I suspect your “.ck” will be almost empty. You STILL always find a “good” available domain. But in a country like Germany there are (and Germany is world champion in this) 17 Million .de ccTLD domains. People just can’t find ANY available domain anymore. In such a country obviously a city name based gTLD is attracting registrants much faster. But even in a 2 Million people country like Latvia: you always get some nice domain. Or you can buy one for small money. So in that respect: very small region or city based gTLDs might be snagged up by brands – but does that really hurt? Yes: the string is then unavailable for the constituents of the geo location – but nobody would ever have applied for the name to make available domains anyway.
Again: Some exceptions to that rule will exist.

There is a German word that is used in English as well: “Realpolitik”. I am such “Realist”. If we ask for too much in regard with protections of geo names – the outcome will be that the 2012 AGB provisions will not be changed; or rather stay in place. And then nobody is helped.

Thanks,

Alexander