[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Questions 2 and 3, Category D

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Jun 17 14:02:11 UTC 2014

Hi All,
The Background information to Category D, Questions 2 and *3, does not
seem to reflect the fairly starting conclusion that arose from it, that
truly legitimate business use proxy/privacy in high levels, including
banks.
*

*So a few quick edits to Questions 2 and 3 (with two discussed by way of
example). And also a correction to the study link that links to the call
for the study, and that I have revised to be the study itself...*

*
Edits in caps...
*

*Best,
Kathy
*

*
Background information relevant to this question:*

*Information from the Whois Studies*

*_Whois Privacy and Proxy Services Abuse Study_
<http://www.icann.org/en/announcements/announcement-2-18may10-en.htm>*[*LINK
TO REPORT AT
https://www.icann.org/public-comments/whois-pp-abuse-study-2013-09-24-en]*-

Our study shows that it IS TRUE that: "A significant percentage of the
domain names used to conduct illegal or harmful Internet activities are
registered via privacy or proxy services to obscure the perpetrator's
identity".

Our study shows that it is PARTLY TRUE that: "The percentage of domain
names used to conduct illegal or harmful Internet activities that are
registered via privacy or proxy services is significantly greater than
the percentage of domain names used for lawful Internet activities that
employ privacy or proxy services."

OUR STUDY ALSO SHOWS THAT IS IS TRUE THAT: BANKS WHO HAVE NOT
MALICIOUSLY REGISTERED DOMAIN NAMES HAVE A HIGHER THAN AVERAGE RATE OF
USE OF PROXY/PRIVACY REGISTRATION.

STUDY LIMITATIONS: THE STUDY NOTES; "it is important to understandthat
the selection we have made is not necessarily representative of the
overall usage of domain names for lawful and harmless reasons."

More helpfully, we can say: "When domain names are registered with the
intent of conducting illegal or harmful Internet activities then a range
of different methods are used to avoid providing viable contact
information -- with a consistent outcome no matter which method is used.

However, although many more domains registered for entirely lawful
Internet activities have viable telephone contact information recorded
within the Whois system, a great percentage of them do not."

---