[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] For your review - template Category B - question 3

Marika Konings marika.konings at icann.org
Mon Mar 17 10:40:32 UTC 2014

Dear All,

In preparation for our meeting tomorrow, please find attached the proposed
template for Category B ­ question 3 (What rights and responsibilities
should domain name registrants that use privacy/proxy services have? What
obligations should ICANN-accredited privacy/proxy service providers have in
managing these rights and responsibilities? Clarify how transfers, renewals,
and PEDNR policies should apply.) If there is any additional information
that should be added to the background section, please let me know.

In relation to transfers, renewals and PEDNR policies, we've started to
develop a list of questions that the WG may need to consider in relation to
these policies. If there are any additional questions that should be
included, please feel free to suggest. We are hoping that some of the
registrar members will be able to shed a light on how these issues are
currently handled and whether or not these need to be factored into the WG
recommendations.
* Per the ERRP, 'registrars must notify the registered name holder of the
expiration at least two times'. Should there be a requirement for the P/P
provider to pass these notices on to the P/P customer?
* Per the ERRP, 'if a registration is not renewed by the RAE or deleted by
the registrar, within five days after the expiration of the registration,
the registrar must transmit at least one additional expiration notice to the
RAE that includes instructions for renewing the registration'. Should there
be a requirement for the P/P provider to pass these notices on to the P/P
customer?
* Per the ERRP, 'beginning at the time of expiration and through the DNS
resolution interruption period described in paragraphs 2.2.2 and 2.2.3, the
RAE must be permitted by the registrar to renew the expired registration'.
What if the underlying customer wants to renew the registration? Idem for
restoration during the Redemption Grace Period.
* In relation to the IRTP, should there be any restrictions concerning
transfers of P/P registrations? (e.g. some of the terms and conditions
require the P/P services to be removed during the transfer process).
Depending on the response to this question, all communications in the IRTP
currently go via the transfer contact (Registered Name Holder / Admin
Contact). Should there be any requirements for this information to also be
communicated to the P/P customer? What happens if there is a disagreement
relating to the transfer between the P/P provider and the P/P customer?
Best regards,

Marika