[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] For your review - template Category B - question 3

Kathy Kleiman kathy at kathykleiman.com
Tue Mar 18 03:39:12 UTC 2014

Hi All,
In answering our newest question, Category B-question 3, I would ask
that an expansion of the NCSG comments be included in the summary of
comments received. NCSG has now commented extensively on rights a domain
name registrant should have when using a proxy/privacy service -- and
our focus has been on two aspects (although there are more to discuss),
namely: a) access to proxy/privacy services, and b) due process in the
limitation and/or termination of these services.

Access: NCSG submits that in the gTLD system, p/p is a needed and
legitimate service for noncommercial organizations, including public
interest groups, religious groups, educational organization, charities,
and hobby groups, as well as individuals, entrepreneurs and small
businesses. We would like to see that right of access protected and ensured.

Due Process: NCSG submits that the p/p customer should be assured of the
right to engage in a dialogue with the proxy/privacy service provider
before contact data is released or published (when legally allowed), and
given the opportunity to show if the request for contact data is
intended to to harm, harass, damage competition or diminish Freedom of
Expression or Assembly rights. Further, the NSCG comments discussed (as
reflected in the current template) the importance of allowing Registrars
to follow their national laws and practices and incorporate the privacy,
data protection and due process of ther laws into their p/p contracts
with customers.  What is illegal in one country is not illegal in
another country -- be it speech activities, religious activities,
political activities or even comparative advertising (in which a
particular product or service specifically mentions a competitor by name
for the express purpose of showing why the competitor is inferior to the
product naming it). These robust differences must be taking into account
when drafting a general set of accreditation principles for rights and
responsibilities of Registrants.

We respectfully submit there are many rights, as well as
responsibilities, to consider in this question tomorrow... and look
forward to the discussion.
Best,
Kathy

Dear All,