[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] A slightly revised proposed approachfor reviewing public comments

Barry Shein bzs at world.std.com
Wed Jul 22 02:59:09 UTC 2015

I apologize for posting at all since I'm not much involved but I'm
sort of surprised at the level of speculation about law enforcement.

As an ISP I've been in the middle of this sort of thing.

In a nutshell there are large and huge and tiny LEAs and they're all
quite different in their response.

I've dealt with the FBI who can turn out a proper warrant in about 15
minutes and college campus police (colleges you've heard of) who could
be incredibly unprofessional -- one threatened, and I mean angrily
threatened, that if I didn't produce the credentials immediately (I
stood my ground for a warrant, it was basically cyberstalking) they
would "show up at my office". I said they were welcome, I'd make the
coffee, and got in touch with the university's general counsel. I
could post that interchange but as you can imagine they were horribly
embarrassed.

Why not get someone from an LEA or two involved even informally rather
than speculate?

So much of this is in the name of law enforcement yet my impression is
that law enforcement per se hasn't been engaged.

A DA wouldn't hurt either since they have to build the cases and wield
the prosecutorial discretion which is really what you're ultimately
trying to support.

Sorry, I'll go back to lurking.

--
        -Barry Shein

Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: 800-THE-WRLD        | Dial-Up: US, PR, Canada