[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] A slightly revised proposed approachfor reviewing public comments

Terri Stumme terri.stumme at legitscript.com
Thu Jul 23 19:20:38 UTC 2015

As  you may, or may not be aware, from 2008 through 2014, I was the
representative for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration regarding ICANN
and Internet governance issues, and an active participant in the ICANN law
enforcement coalition during that period of time. I want to add in my two
cents to this discussion.

Although LE has been actively involved in ICANN for several years, the PSWG
was just recently formed and accepted as a sub-group of the GAC. The
internal processes between the PSWG and the GAC have not yet been
developed, and a consensus between the PSWG and the GAC must be achieved
prior to public comment being made. This has always been the case, but the
establishment of the PSWG created a "formal" presence for law enforcement
(which the ICANN community embraced) but inherently has created more
bureaucracy. This is one of the reasons the PSWG did not post their
statement/position during the PPSAI public comment period.

Further, in addition to the GAC involvement, each law enforcement
representative must receive approval from their respective governments
prior to stating a public position. I can only speak to the US process on
this; an internal US government working group comprised of several agencies
must achieve consensus on the submitted position. I am sure that the
timeline for this, as well as several other issues, was not a sufficient
amount of time for the US government to review this matter, achieve
consensus from all agencies, prepare the response, receive approval from
the administration, and submit public comment.

Because the PSWG did not post a public comment, doesn't mean they do not
have a position. This particular public comment period is not the only
opportunity the PSWG will have to make their position known. Once the
internal process with the GAC is established, and the kinks worked out, I
am sure the PPSAI will hear from the GAC, most likely through the Board,
the PSWG/GAC position.

With that said, I can say with confidence that law enforcement does not
support the requirement of a court order, and does not support customer
notification when a query is made. A full blown marketing campaign by one
special interest group exploiting the fears of the community regarding the
extremely sensitive issue of privacy, without proposing any alternative
measures, only moves this process backward. It is not an issue of law
enforcement attempting to circumvent due process, but rather an attempt to
work with industry within the bounds of law, to protect public health and
safety. At some point, common sense must prevail.

*Terri Stumme*
*Intelligence Analyst*