[Gnso-ppsai-pdp-wg] Proposed language concerning lawyers and P/P services

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 20 11:36:15 UTC 2015

I don't find this wording acceptable.  Firstly, we had several rounds of
discussion on this in the Working group, it sounds in this formulation
as if it had not come up in the working group.
Secondly, we are not proposing that ICANN regulate attorney client
relationships.  Are we not regulating Privacy Proxy service providers?
If lawyers are P/P providers, I see no reason to exempt them.  Thirdly,
the issue of whether lawyers will become the major tool for criminals to
escape (or delay significantly, almost as good) revelation of their
identities is huge and is well within our remit to discuss.  If indeed
having a special class of unregulated PP providers does indeed drive
traffic to the lawyers it makes our efforts somewhat in vain.  I will
leave it to the PP providers present to make the argument about unfair
competition.
Cheers Stephanie