[gnso-rds-pdp-data] Data Team Checklist - 5 April

Holly Raiche h.raiche at internode.on.net
Wed Apr 6 06:13:34 UTC 2016

Folks

Sorry I wasn’t on the call.  I’m just getting over a cold and a 3.00am call wasn’t going to help that process.

First, I’ve had a look (again) at the SAC reports.  SAC 058 - Report on Domain Name Registration Data Validation is about just that.  There is discussion about validation processes for the data, but the term ‘registration data’ is often used, without drilling down to the actual data elements

Next, SAC 055 ‘Blind Man and an Element.  This is  the SSAC’s response to the Whois Final Report.  It is a good background document for those who have not read it - calling for a clear Whois policy on the data collected, its purpose for collection, etc.

The important report for this WG’s purposes is SAC054 - Report on The Domain Name Registration Data.  The report breaks the data held into three areas:

Contact Data Set, including contact information necessary for the registration, administration and technical management - saying that includes the registrant’s name, postal address, email address, voice telephone number (and fax!) The discussion  points to contact information for the registrant, a billing contact, as well as technical and administrative contact information for ICANN. (I assume that refers to the information required under the 2013 RAA)

Operational Data set, including the domain name registrar ID, the creation, and expiry dats and status, name server information and, if the domain is signed, the DNSSEC information

Update Data Information is the information needed for a transfer including the  code for transferring the name.

What is REALLY use for the data set is Part  4 of SAC 054 - all the data required is in tables - with what data is provided in each.

Table 1 is the data model for contact information
Table 2 is the Registrar Data Model
Table 3 is the Host Name Data Model
Table 4 is the Domain Name Data Model
Table 5 is the Registered Mark Information Data Model
Table 6 is the DNSSEC information data mode.

I won’t reproduce the information in each table, but that should be a very comprehensive list of all the data.

Maybe the next job is to look again at the requirements for information under the RAA - clause 3.1.1 - and see what is listed in SAC054 that is additional to that (I suspect Clause 3.1.1 is only about contact information.)

I am also attaching the text of an email Andrew Sullivan sent to the WG -a good summary of the information.

Hope that moves the discussion along

Holly