[gnso-rds-pdp-data] Further summaries

Ayden Fabien Férdeline ayden at ferdeline.com
Fri Apr 15 09:17:58 UTC 2016

Hi Benny,
Thanks for writing back. I absolutely agree that this will impact registrars and
any other party involved in the collection or retention of data. We need to give
serious consideration to the impacts this regulation entails, particularly those
which seem to require privacy-by-default, data-minimisation-by-default, and, for
non-EU registrars servicing European clients, Art 3 Para 2, makes it clear that
they must adhere to EU data protection laws too. There are also significant
penalties for non-compliance with the regulation. While I have not read the
document yet — I've just read a few areas where I was most interested — my
feeling is that this regulation no longer subordinates the fundamental right to
privacy to commercial interests. It would not be appropriate for me to comment
here on whether I think that is right or wrong, but reading the EU's press
release makes it clear that this is something the European Parliament considers
to be an important new development. We would be well served considering this
document (which, indeed, you have requested ).
Best wishes,
Ayden