[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Use Case -- Real World Information: Consumer Verification of Domain Name / Website Operator

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Mon Aug 1 22:41:20 UTC 2016

I disagree with your assessment in the attachment that:
There should be no privacy implications in this context. As Article 29 WP notes
“the publication of certain information about the company or organisation (such
as their identification and their physical address) is often a requirement by
law in the framework of the commercial or professional activities they perform.”
There are many micro enterprises which maintain websites that process small
financial transactions, but for whom their ability to maintain an anonymous
online presence is very important. I am thinking of victims of domestic abuse
who may be crowdfunding to help others. I am thinking of those who run
businesses out of their home. I am also thinking about artists and content
creators who fund their work through donations, along with freelance journalists
without institutional affiliation who find themselves working from home (and
perhaps living in a totalitarian country).
There are privacy implications to your use case, and not only that, there is the
potential here to chill free speech and to suppress economic growth. Anonymity
and pseudonymity are cornerstones of the Internet and they must be preserved.
Thanks,
Ayden