[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] @EXT: RE: Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Richard Leaning rleaning at ripe.net
Mon Aug 8 05:15:39 UTC 2016

Hi Rob,

You make some very valid points. Which the WG will spend many a sleepless night worrying about i suspect.

I am of course fully aware that an RIR database has it faults, which we are all working very hard to resolve and you know that takes time. But as has been mentioned before, comparing an RIR database and an DNS database is sometimes confusing - they don’t really do the same thing.

Am always up for a beer - its in my DNA as a (x) cop ;-) I spend half my time when not on the road between London and Brussels - so name the date, time and city and ill be there ;-)

Stephanie - Maybe we could find sometime during the next f2f meeting in India. In the meantime i will try to summarise quickly the main difference in the context of this WG. The caveat is, this is my way of explaining it from a European, mainly UK perspective.

LEA are mostly reactive - a crime has been committed and they investigate to ID the individuals involved and bring them to justice. To do so they need evidence that will stand up to cross examination and prove without doubt that an individual(s) is guilty of the crime they are accused of. This evidence is collected under a legal frame work - information/intelligence/hearsay is not evidence - (its a bit more complicated than that but hopefully you get the point). LEA do exchange of course information/intelligence/evidence with each other but under a strict legal frame work - MLATs for example.

Intelligence services are pro-active. Preventing a criminal act for example. They rarely, if ever attend a court of law in any type of criminal prosecution so they are more focussed on information and intelligence. But they still gather this under a legal frame work. They, no matter what 007 or Jason Bourne would like you to believe, don’t have a free rein to do what ever they want. I know some will find that hard to believe but trust me its true.

So in the context of this WG - a LE officer will look at the database to see what information it holds that will lead to ID an individual involved in a criminal act and then evidence it. We also need to remember that LEAs have many investigative methods to ID individuals, there is not one method that works every time, each investigation is different. The DNS database in one investigation may be useless but on another will be extremely important.

Not sure this has helped but its properly lead to my questions then answers ;-)

Maybe if the other LEA guys and cyber investigators - (Terri and Ade) would like to add their perspective?

Cheers

Dick

Richard Leaning
External Relations