[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] @EXT: RE: Use cases: Fundamental, Incidental, and Theoretical

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Mon Aug 8 12:10:38 UTC 2016

Greg,
I am disappointed that Europol seems to be advocating that personal information
be processed in a manner inconsistent with European law.
I fully appreciate that, in order to allow Europol to collect sensitive
information from the Member States in the pursuit of investigations, your agency
is exempt from some of the general provisions on data processing. You are
permitted to directly retrieve and process information obtained from
publicly-available sources, but the promotional literature on the Europol
website suggests Europol agents searching for publicly-available ‘terror
manuals’ or criminals claiming credit for attacks. There is no indication that
this includes Europol trawling through things like WHOIS records to identify the
administrator of a website, something far less sinister. And if the RDS evolves
into something very different from what it is today – perhaps not open to any
and everyone to query, or federated into a single data store – my understanding
is that the routing of information from a private party to Europol would be
subject to European data protection controls and safeguards.
The very specific exemptions that Europol has received in order to carry out its
work simply do not call for Europol to advocate for a lower standard of privacy
protection for European residents in privately-owned or publicly-accessible
sources of information.
There is no doubt that effective police work requires top intelligence, but
equally as important is the employment of sound data protection safeguards which
strike an appropriate balance between the interests of freedom and security.
Just my $0.02.
- Ayden