[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Use case for WHOIS/RDP

Hollenbeck, Scott shollenbeck at verisign.com
Tue Aug 16 10:54:04 UTC 2016

From: gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org [mailto:gnso-rds-pdp-wg-bounces at icann.org] On Behalf Of Ayden Férdeline
Sent: Monday, August 15, 2016 6:59 PM
To: Greg Shatan
Cc: Dean Coclin; gnso-rds-pdp-wg at icann.org
Subject: Re: [gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Use case for WHOIS/RDP

The key point I was raising was that there isn’t a difference between the encryption keys of domain-validated certificates, be they issued by Let’s Encrypt or a paid CA. The level of encryption is the same. That being said, I would like to return to my question about the use case itself: how could the CAs accomplish their desired task if, theoretically, the RDS could not accommodate their needs in the same manner that the WHOIS protocol does at present?
Information published in the DNS using TXT records would be one way. Another would be to make information available for retrieval from a web site using HTTP.
Scott