[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Additional Key Input for Phase 1 - VKI v Amazon EU Sárl judgement of CJEU

Ayden Férdeline icann at ferdeline.com
Tue Aug 16 14:30:17 UTC 2016

Hi,

I would suggest we consider the Court's verdict, given it has sought in this instance to unify disparate European laws on this subject. In this case the Court of Justice of the European Union has found that the jurisdiction clauses which are routinely inserted into consumer contracts might well be irrelevant when deciding which Member State’s data protection laws apply. As you know, I am not a lawyer, but this is something that I imagine could impact our European registrars. Especially if, in the future, we talk about a gated access system that stores personally-identifiable data? Maybe this isn't for Phase 1 of our work plan, but I would respectfully submit that this is a ruling we do need to give consideration to.

Thanks,

Ayden