[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For WG Review - Redlined Problem Statement

Greg Aaron gca at icginc.com
Wed Aug 17 17:29:08 UTC 2016

Dear Ayden:

Your phrase “stakeholders claim to have a vested interest” has problems associated with it.  That language implies that a group of stakeholders on the list might not have a valid interest, and therefore may not be legitimate.

Maybe you put the word “claim” in the wrong place, or meant to use the word differently.  All stakeholders will make many assertions or arguments or claims over the course of time, and the WP will make some judgments about those and their use cases.  In this WG, I assume that all participants are stakeholders with an interest.  I may not agree with someone’s position (i.e. claims) on an issue, but I will not question someone’s right to participate.

We know that “consumers, the domain name industry, governments, intellectual property owners, registrants, and a variety of other stakeholders all have a vested interest in an RDS system.”  They are all stakeholders, and don’t just claim to be.  I think that has been uncontroversial, acknowledged wisdom in this WG, also documented in past ICANN efforts on this subject.

Sure, insert “end-users” if you like.  We could also insert “security practitioners” and other groups.  By inserting “a variety of other stakeholders” I was hoping to be inclusive without trying to create an exhaustive list.

All best,
--Greg