[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For WG Review - Redlined Problem Statement

Stephanie Perrin stephanie.perrin at mail.utoronto.ca
Wed Aug 17 17:34:40 UTC 2016

I think it is important to define these terms even for the purposes of
this document.  Firstly, many people think of consumers as users of the
Internet, not necessarily consumers of the RDS product we come up with,
or registrants (eg law enforcement argument for consumer protection, not
necessarily getting consumers motivated to check the RDS themselves).
We need to clarify our use of this word, in my view.  Secondly,
end-users in the context of the RDS in my view means those who use the
product we come up with....includes bulk purchasers, private sector
security folks, domain speculators, etc.

I am responsible for complaining about the words "ever evolving global
internet" as I believe we open too wide a door here.  Some parties want
ICANN to be one-stop-shopping for Internet issues, I do not. I believe I
represent the majority view of the NCSG stakeholder group in that
regard. Therefore I want to constrain that language.  I also want to set
realistic expectations, we are not going to solve all the problems, nor
should we try.  I agree having the notion (caution) that we are working
on an aspect (DNS) of an infrastructure that is dynamic and evolving is
a good idea.  It is hard to word in a way that does not fling open the
door to all issues, though.  If you want it back in, Ayden, can you come
up with something limited?

I agree with Ayden's use of claim.  I am not sure that everyone who
wants more information in the RDS has a valid "claim" to be a
stakeholder.  Opportunistic promotion of free personal data happens all
the time, I would call that a claim, not a stakeholder right.  If we
start getting into what rights end users of the INternet have we had
better buckle up for a long ride.  We will have enough trouble pushing
back existing practices that violate law and fail to recognize
registrant risk.  We have to examine all such use cases as "claims".  I
am also aware that as one who claims to be representing end users
generally at ICANN (ie the civil society role) I will have to justify my
claims as well.  WHile I take Sam's point that the quibble could be "do
I represent end users, am I therefore a stakeholder" but I am convinced
that is not where the discussion needs to be.  Stakeholders make claims,
we need to examine those claims.

As for the vesting issue.... since we at ICANN represent a tiny
proportion of those in the ecosystem, I think vesting could be dropped.
Folks have an interest.  Those who are not paying attention arguably
don't have a vested interest.  It's a quibble but it just might be one
word too many there.

cheers Stephanie Perrin