[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] For WG Review - Redlined Problem Statement

Elaine Pruis elaine at donuts.email
Wed Aug 24 21:28:52 UTC 2016

I love statistics.
Registries must self report whois look up data.
https://www.icann.org/resources/pages/registry-reports
For example, in .com April 2016 ALONE
“Whois” Queries* In Millions* 15,000.3
Web-based Whois  6,960,159

Clearly people aware of whois are using it.

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 10:57 PM, Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I've taken a deeper look at this 5% (or 8%) "awareness" number that is
> being bandied about.
>
> This is a misuse of the data.  The question did not ask about awareness of
> WHOIS.  The answer cannot be cited to demonstrate awareness of WHOIS; to do
> so is misleading.  The more I look at the data, the less appropriate it is
> to cite as if it answers this question.  As Mark Twain once said, "There
> are three kinds of lies.  Lies, damned lies, and statistics."
>
> *My primary conclusion after looking at the data is that it is useless to
> prove anything about "awareness of WHOIS." *
>
> My secondary conclusion is that, even if one were to attempt extract some
> understanding of *use* of WHOIS (not even awareness, which is
> impossible), relying solely on the WHOIS subset is inappropriate and likely
> a significant underestimation of those who used WHOIS.
>
> First, this is a follow-up question to a users who had "tried to identify
> who created a particular website" (not "who owns a particular domain name,"
> which would more likely lead to the use of WHOIS, since "who created a
> particular website" may have nothing to do with the question of domain
> ownership.
>
> Those who had tried were asked "What did you use to figure this out?"
> (i.e., figure out who "created a particular website").  It's unclear but
> possible thaqt only a single answer was allowed, even if the user used
> multiple tools.  The fact that 5% or 8% chose to list their use of WHOIS to
> see who "created a particular website" (not "who owned a particular domain
> name") proves nothing about *awareness* of WHOIS among those who used
> other tools.
>
> Notably, WHOIS as an answer is grouped with other "Specific Site Search"
> answers - the rest being Google, Baidu, GoDaddy, DNS records and "other
> specific site search mentions."  (The fact that "WHOIS" is listed as a
> "specific site search" is enough to make one question the validity of the
> analysis.)
>
> Of those who tried to figure who created a particular site, the greatest
> number turned to search engines -- not surprising among general users, as
> search is often the primary tool used to find out *anything * on the
> Internet.  That does not in any way demonstrate their lack of awareness of
> WHOIS.
>
> Also, the WHOIS answer likely undercounts those who actually used WHOIS.
> There are other answers that may also refer to WHOIS, some with answers
> nearly as high as those who expressly identified WHOIS as the "specific
> site" they searched:
>
> Domain/IP Address search (5% in 2015, 5% in 2016)
> Online/Internet tools (Unspecified) (0%, 1%)
> Using specific sites that classify/provide information on sites (5%, 2%)
> Check registration/if it’s registered/certificate (2%, 2%)
> Research (Unspecified) (4%, 1%)
> GoDaddy (0%, less than 1%)
> TOTAL 16%, 11%

> [...]

[image: Donuts Inc.] <http://www.donuts.domains>
*Elaine Pruis*, Vice President, Operations
*Donuts Inc. <http://www.donuts.domains>*
10500 NE 8th Street, Suite 350, Bellevue Washington, 98004, U.S.A. |
Telephone: 509.899.3161
[image: Twitter] <https://twitter.com/DonutsInc>[image: Facebook]
<https://www.facebook.com/donutstlds>[image: Linked In]
<http://www.linkedin.com/company/donuts-inc->