[gnso-rds-pdp-wg] Notes and action items from RDS PDP WG Meeting on 6 December 2016

Metalitz, Steven met at msk.com
Wed Dec 7 16:52:54 UTC 2016

Chuck,

Thank you for this reminder.  I have reviewed the proposed approach to deliberation and support it for the most part, but I have one question.

The fourth bullet point under this section of the meeting notes states:
·        Follow random rotation and alternate between subjects - will commence with users/purposes, then data elements, followed by privacy, and repeat

I take it this means that the proposal is to start with the first highlighted question under “users and purposes” on page 1 of the “proposed approach” document:
Should gTLD registration data be accessible for any purpose or only for specific purposes?

So far so good.  If, after we complete (or come to a stopping point) on discussion of that question, is it proposed that we then move immediately to the first question under the “data elements” section of the document?  That question is on page 6 and reads as follows:

Do existing gTLD registration data elements sufficiently meet the needs of purposes identified as permissible?

I see a disconnect here, because our deliberation on the first question will not have brought us anywhere close to identifying what purposes are permissible.  At most it will have resolved (at least provisionally) whether we need to engage in a process of identifying “specific purposes” that are “permissible.”

Once we have completed (or come to a stopping point) on this second question, would we then move to the first question listed under privacy, which is found on page 11:

Do existing gTLD registration directory services policies sufficiently address compliance with applicable data protection, privacy, and free speech laws within each jurisdiction?

This presents a different disconnect since its focus is on “existing policies,” rather than on the attributes we should be seeking in RDS going forward.

Or am I focusing too much on the questions that are highlighted, and instead the proposal (at least as to this point) is to deliberate on the answers/principles proposed by the EWG (see the quote from pp. 11-12 of EWG report immediately below the question)?

Have I misunderstood what is being proposed with respect to this “random rotation” approach?  If so, perhaps this could be clarified , by spelling out  which question specifically it is proposed we start deliberations on next Tuesday, which will be the question considered after that, etc.

If in fact I have grasped the proposal correctly (a big if), then I question whether it is the best way to proceed.  Don't we need to get at least somewhat farther (beyond the first question) on discussion of “users/purposes” before we can usefully turn to questions on “data elements”?

Looking forward to being set straight on this.

Steve Metalitz

PS, I sense in the notes some frustration that only 18 people responded to the latest poll.  Let’s not be too hard on ourselves, 18 represents a sizable proportion of the average attendance on our recent calls (40 and 34, as I count them).  A return rate of roughly 50% is really not too bad.  I think leadership has correctly concluded from the poll results that there was sufficient dissatisfaction with the previous approach to require a change in direction.  And, in general, I think the change in direction proposed makes sense, my only major reservation is about the “random rotation” point spelled out above.